Sign in to follow this  

xr100 engine noise

i got a xr100 and i have noticed for a while now that i hear a noise kinda sounding like something is knocking. i have no idea what it is and i know it isnt a sound that it is supposed to have is it my piston ?

It may be your timing chain. There's a bolt on the side of the head (tensioner) to adjust the tension if it gets too loose. Only takes like half of turn or so. adjust while it's running so you can listen while adjusting.

Is the knocking tied to rpm? More rpm louder, more frequent knocking? If you have tried the cam chain tensioner screw in the head you probably also adjusted the cam chain tensioner adjustment in the cylinder. You might try using a copper pipe to listen to different spots of the engine to determine if the noise is in the top or bottom.

Have you adjusted the timing chain tension using the lower adjustment in the cylinder? If that didn't produce any change, what grade of gasoline are you using and is the ignition system points or CDI? Did you have any success in determining whether the noise is in the top or bottom?

My limited experience tells me to check the timing chain.

If that's not it, then remeber that plain bearings like the rod knock when cold and quiet down when the parts heat up.