Sign in to follow this  

Engine Rattle-No Big Deal!

I took my bike in to the shop for an opinion on my noisy top end. I was fully prepared to throw down $500 if it came down to it...but, imagine my joy when he gave it a thorough listen to, and said "don't worry about it, it's not enough to be concerned with at this time".:cry:

Point #1: I think I found a mechanic I can trust in the future.:cry:

Point #2: I think I've got to buy something with all that money I saved.:cry:

I would think that it's the cam chain making the rattle. I don't believe the 250's have automatic cam chain adjusters so they need to be done manually. Just a thought, maybe something to ask him or get a second opinion on here. It's good if he's right and won't screw you out of money, but if he just doesn't know then it's even worse. I hope all is well though.

I think I found a mechanic I can trust in the future.
Congrats they are always hard to find :cry:
I think I've got to buy something with all that money I saved.
A good start is pg. 1 in the Dennis Kirk catolog :cry:
I took my bike in to the shop for an opinion on my noisy top end.
Man................. mine sounds like a top fueler :devil: people always ask me ............what's all that noise :cry: I say what ???????????then ROOST EM :devil::D:cry: :cry:

You know what can make a noise that sounds exactly like rattly top end?

A leaky header pipe / muffler pipe clamp loose!

You know where the end of the header pipe has a clamp on it and the pipe from the muffler fits into it and you do the bolt on the clamp up to seal it?

Well, this happend about a couple of months ago, I dont know what I had done pereviously, But i must of not done up the bolt tight that goes in the clamp, and it fell out some where rite, Well I didnt know that at the time.

And all of a sudden Only when it was cold it would make this realy obvious tapping sound! It was realy pissing me off! I thought it must of been the timing chain But Its got an auto tensioner. So we worked out that it wasnt that. I had a few of knowledgeable people listen to it and everyone thought it was the somthing like the timing chain or a stuffed rocker arm of valve!

But it didnt make sence that it would only do it when it was cold!

This went on for 2 months. Then one day I went to take the muffler off to paint it, and noticed that that bolt in the clam was missing! And thought MABEY! Just Mabey it was and exhaust leak!

And Yes it was. Clamped it all up with a bit of muffler putty too. And it was fixed!:cry:

I cant beleive how much it sounded like a loud tapping noise!

But it makes sence though hey. When its cold the pipe was leaking, when it wamed up it expanded and sealed.

Just thought youse might like to know.:cry:

This noise only occurs past 150 degrees. (Xrs Only dipstick temperature gauge)

This is the second opinion, so I'm just going to roll with it. I guess if I blow it up on the trail, I always ride with a tow rope and a nutrition bar (Power Bar):cry:

This noise only occurs past 150 degrees. (Xrs Only dipstick temperature gauge)

This is the second opinion, so I'm just going to roll with it. I guess if I blow it up on the trail, I always ride with a tow rope and a nutrition bar (Power Bar):cry:

and dont forget the cell phone and lap top :cry::cry::cry: