Sign in to follow this  

what gear

Hi

I have been climbing a coal bing on my 450 sx ktm angle of attack about 35 it goes up it no prob...now the side of the bing looks more scary maybe 50 degree angle and goes on a bit ...any advice on what gear appreciated 1 or 2 and should i blast it..also head forward or what and where should i be body wise..cheers guys

robert

Robert,

Which gear will depend on how long the hill is and how your particular bike is geared, also, how smooth the transition is at the bottom of the hill. You will want to be standing with your knees bent and weight forward over the handle bars as much as possible. Carry as much speed and momentum as you can at the bottom and then use just as much power as necessary to get to the top. If you don't have speed and momentum to burn as you go up you may not be able to use enough power to get to the top without looping the bike.:cry: Good luck, and be safe!

CR

Too low a gear and you will not get enough speed and crutially momentem, also the tyre may spin, loosing you power. Too high a gear and you will not have enough power as the bike slows down, or you need to slow it down to maintain grip/avoid getting airbourne. If you have done the less steep bit in 1/2, Id be tempted to try 2/3. Momentum is the key.