Skidplate Comparisons -- Summers & Utah

I bought the Summer Racing Components(SRC) skidplate for my son's CRF230 and installed it three weeks ago. I have the Utah Sport Cycle's skidplate on my CRF230. While the SRC skidplate is a solidly built skidplate(yes, using the existing bolt holes is good), I did have three major concerns...

1) The SRC skidplate is only about 2/3's the size of the Utah Sport Cycle skidplate(USC).

---------------------------

2) The SRC skidplate angles up and back in the rear with about 5-6 inches of aluminum plate just hanging there with no bolt action back there to secure it.

---------------------------

3) The SRC costs $35 more than the USC!!! It's $100 compared to $65!

The photo on SRC's website totally fooled me. I expected the SRC skidplate to be much larger than it looked. That is a huge disppointment. I also had to put a rubber spacer between the skidplate and frame, which works to help stem the vibration, but is still not right to have to modify it. When the kid revs the bike the skidplate vibrates against the frame, and is very bothersome. I've e-mailed SRC, and have gotten no reply... yet.

I have had the Utah skidplate on my bike for over 1 1/2 years. It has Not loosened up one bit. It's just as torqued down and strong as it was when I installed it. And I hit rocks and logs damn hard sometimes. I have not one complaint about the Utah skidplate. Even using the u-shaped bolt straps. It works!

I am, however, disapppointed with the SRC skidplate in that it does not cover the side cases like the Utah skidplate does, and it is too small for the price. I will get photos up so you can compare the two soon.

One more thing.. the SRC does work where it protects, and works good too. The kid showed me how it works when we crossed some gnarly rocky area(no, not like TortureChambers' rocks on the Big Island!! ? ) to get from one trail to another.

Dirt Daddy

Utah... scores a 10 out of 10

SRC .... scores a 6 out of 10

Well, that only serves to reinforce one thing.

Being cheap pays off.?

I'm glad I built mine. It attaches using self tapping stainless button head hex screws to existing holes in the bottom of the frame. The skid plate even has drain holes in it in my favorite pattern. It's made out of .090" aluminum and I had it custom powdercoated. It's even pimped up a bit in the front with some serrations for looks.

It sux to feel that you got cheated. I feel your frustrations, because I too have the SRC plate on mine.

I don't have an answer to that question, except to say that at least the SRC isn't a genuine POS. I've seen , and currently have, the POS paper thin plate made by others (not saying a Utah is one).

I think SRC has a 30 day buy back guarantee. You should at the very least let them know about it. I'm sure it's real easy to add more mat'l to their blank on their next mfg. run.

It sux to feel that you got cheated. I feel your frustrations, because I too have the SRC plate on mine.
minibikedad, I don't feel like I got ripped off. Can you explain the second part, "feel your frustrations"?
I don't have an answer to that question, except to say that at least the SRC isn't a genuine POS. I've seen , and currently have, the POS paper thin plate made by others (not saying a Utah is one).
Both brands are definitely not paper thin. I measured both last night and they are the same thickness.
I think SRC has a 30 day buy back guarantee. You should at the very least let them know about it. I'm sure it's real easy to add more mat'l to their blank on their next mfg. run.
Thanks m-dad... I'll call them today if I can get away from my work station.

?

ps... what are your thoughts about the SRC and the other skidplate currently on your bike?

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the Utah skidplate on my bike for over 1 1/2 years. It has Not loosened up one bit. It's just as torqued down and strong as it was when I installed it. And I hit rocks and logs damn hard sometimes. I have not one complaint about the Utah skidplate. Even using the u-shaped bolt straps. It works!

I am, however, disapppointed with the SRC skidplate in that it does not cover the side cases like the Utah skidplate does, and it is too small for the price. I will get photos up so you can compare the two soon

I need a skidplate for mine soon. Do you have some pic's to compare them?

thanks

I need a skidplate for mine soon. Do you have some pic's to compare them? thanks
Sorry man, I got busy and forgot to take the side by side comparison pics. .

Here's a couple of pics from the Utah Sport Cycle and Summers Racing websites.

Both pics are Not a good indication of what you will actually get, so until I

get the real photos up, these will have to do.

http://home.earthlink.net/~billfial/utah%20skidplate.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~billfial/src%20skidplate.jpg

The SRC is more of a Racer type plate. The Utah plate is like a hammer, nothing fancy it takes a pounding and the bike doesnt. I have had several Utah plates and can say they did their job! Utah plates have more side case protection and hence are a little wider, and the great part is they cost less.

you don't realy need that much I cut the aluminum with a circular saw wood saw. Probably the hardest "tool" to obtain is a aceteline(or any other capable of obtaining at least 1200 degrees) torch. Then you just need a drill, then a vice to bend it. But, I guess you guys would have to buy the aluminum though

here is a pic.

2d7be633.jpg

hey Desracer... Thanks for the great explanation comparing the two skidplates. I never thought about a skidplate strictly for racing! So now I must digress... the Summers Racing skidplate is just as good a skidplate as the Utah Cycle Sports(same thickness too!)... it just doesn't cover as much as I'd hoped. But it proved its worth yesterday. We wheelied over logs and crunched over mini boulders much of the day, and both skidplates certainly did their job.

Guess I should go back to the initial post and re-write it.

The SRC is more of a Racer type plate. The Utah plate is like a hammer, nothing fancy it takes a pounding and the bike doesnt. I have had several Utah plates and can say they did their job! Utah plates have more side case protection and hence are a little wider, and the great part is they cost less.