Sign in to follow this  

suspension set up for lighter rider

Alright guys, im finally selling my 85 and moving up to a yzf. The only thing im concearned about is that im kind of a feather weight 5'6" 110lbs. Is lighter springs going to cut it as far as getting the bike set up for my weight, or should I get the suspension revalved for my weight? Can I get it set up for just my weight range so if I put on a few pounds I wont have to get it redone again?:excuseme:Any help would be appreciated

Im in a similar situation (5'11 130#), and the rear shock is actually pretty versitile. Ive come up with a setup that I like for it. The forks seem to be stiff still even with the most extreme adjustments. So Ive decided to settle for fork springs and then revalve next winter. The most important adjustment you could make is to your compression settings, then get the rebound settings to match your compression. PM me if you need anymore help.

A revalve will be incredibly beneficial for you. At a minimum, new springs are needed, but the best performance will be gained with valving to match those springs. I would go for it; it would be cash spent well.

If your racing you really do need lighter springs+ revalve.

I weigh 140 and I needed lighter springs + revalve. It makes it so much better.

If you just ride and don't want to spend the money just back the compression clickers out and ride it. Lighter springs and revalve really is the way 2 go

Wow, we are exactly the same. I am also 5'6'' 110 lbs. My 01 yz250f already came with a factory connection revalve. The previous owner, although heavier than me, had it valved for woods riding which in general is softer settings so it works out nicely for me in the woods and on the track. I hopped on my friend's stock 02 with no revalve and the suspension was rock hard for me. Definetly get the suspension revalved for your weight. Another suggestion, you probably have already noticed but at 5'6 the bike is a bit tall and feels real tall and top heavy for me in the corners. Raise up the forks as far as they will go and then re-set the rear sag. I notice an unbelievable difference in the corners and when just sitting on the bike.

Go to Race Tech online to figure out what springs you will need. As for a revalve, it won't help at all, but if you get the springs and a revalve you will love it. You might wait until you are a little bigger to get the revalve, because it will be $500 wasted once you get too heavy for that set-up. I do suggest lighter springs for you once you get the bike. Once you think you will stay the same weight for a while, I do suggest a revalve.

Alright, thanks for the help guys. Ill probably go for lighter springs and play with the dampening and see how that works out :cry::cry::cry:

I'm a light weight as well, 5'9" 140-145 on a good day. I went to factory connection(Canada) and got their springs 0.42 on the front and 4.6 on the rear, this for motocross, SX would be a different set up. They are really knowleable and will help you set up your bike over the phone as well.

I'm a novice/junior and I don't really need a revalve. The stock setup could have actually worked for me but I got tired too fast and the arm pump!!! But after the springs, it is great!! Good luck on finding a good setup :cry: .

Don Courtney at SiTec, www.sitecracing.com, will do your revalve for $300. He normally reworks the springs anyway and can probably use your stock springs which will save you some bucks. I know you will be happy with the work. We have about a dozen bikes in my area running his suspension mods and they are all very pleased.

You might try a systematic approach.

Buy the bike, set the sag then ride it.

With 95-100mm race sag what is free sag? If greater than 30mm get new rear springs.

Try the minimum amount of fork oil and see if that lessens the harshness.

do these things and diagnose before you go throwing money at a problem you've yet to identify.

You might try a systematic approach.

Buy the bike, set the sag then ride it.

With 95-100mm race sag what is free sag? If greater than 30mm get new rear springs.

Try the minimum amount of fork oil and see if that lessens the harshness.

do these things and diagnose before you go throwing money at a problem you've yet to identify.

At 110 pounds I dont think its as simple as taking some oil out. Not saying it wouldnt help but the springs are the true answer then eventually followed up with a revalve if needed.