a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke

It's a tough decision for some, two-strokes have that zing, that snap that makes them incredibly fun to ride. They are way lighter and handle better than big, heavy four-strokes. But, they also lack the low-end torque that thumpers have. There are many pro's and con's to both machines. Two-strokes are less reliable but are easier and cheaper to work on than four-strokes.

Two-strokes are less reliable but are easier and cheaper to work on than four-strokes.
If you are talking about MX bikes, I'd disagree and say that 4 strokes are less reliable on top of being more expensive to maintain.

>> So umm.....yeah!.......What??<<

yeah I know that sounds way out there but have you seen any 4S freestyle'rs?

the 4S has more gyro inertia, makes it harder to change the bikes position laterally in mid-air. try some horizontal tail-whips on both to see what I mean.

>> So umm.....yeah!.......What??<<

yeah I know that sounds way out there but have you seen any 4S freestyle'rs?

the 4S has more gyro inertia, makes it harder to change the bikes position laterally in mid-air. try some horizontal tail-whips on both to see what I mean.

?....so its a pig?!!..?...?...I understand reciptrocating mass and the gyro efect(bubba seems to be the only one "using" it)...and by the way Me and my wife DO horizontal tail whips...both two and four strokes..?:cry:..

Go look at the supercross top ten finishes for any given race.

The majority of top ten placements are always 2 strokes.

That's your answer.

I don't say this becuase I ride a CR500, but because you listed your criteria as predominantly mx tracks. Between Aneheim and Phoenix there were 35% 4 strokes in the top ten for those races.

Go look at the supercross top ten finishes for any given race.

The majority of top ten placements are always 2 strokes.

That's your answer.

I don't say this becuase I ride a CR500, but because you listed your criteria as predominantly mx tracks. Between Aneheim and Phoenix there were 35% 4 strokes in the top ten for those races.

That is true, but then you have to check the MX results to see the other side of the equation.

If you are talking about MX bikes, I'd disagree and say that 4 strokes are less reliable on top of being more expensive to maintain.

ditto

about 2 vs 4 it's a more complicated question than it used to be.

for example, if you race 125s then you pretty much HAVE to have a 4 stroke. the 125s just give up too much HP while the 250Fs don't give too big of a weight penalty. however, the KFX/RMZ 250s are a steaming pile of dogsh_t, and the CRF250 ain't much better. they just aren't built to last.

if you race 250s, then the decision isn't so clear cut. MOST people will go faster on a 4 stroke simply because the smooth power delivery makes them easy to ride. HOWEVER, some guys just cannot tolerate the extra weight. also, you can get good, reliable machines from KTM, honda and yamaha. so that decision is tougher.

if you do not race, i say go with a 2 stroke. the explosive power they make is "funner," but lap times suffer. if you do not race, or do not race seriously, then lap times don't matter. also, 2 strokes are cheaper to buy and maintain, and much easier to work on. another bonus of the 2 strokes is that all the 250s are pretty good and you'll find lots of steeply discounted left over 04s and 03s if you shop around.

JMHO

From the description of your riding preferences, I think a 2s would be perfect. I love both, but the 2-stroke gives my facial muscles a better work out ? Get a 2-stroke before they go away forever. Eventually, you won't have a choice. ?