Sign in to follow this  

will revalved 03yz250f supension be better than stock crf450 supension

Im considering moving up to a 04 or 05 crf450 from my current 03 yz250f. a big question is if I did a revalve on my stock bike would that suspension be better than stock crf stuff. Im considering keeping my bike and doing suspension and 262 kit to go with my hotcams etc.or getting crf450..is 03 yz stuff so outdated that revalve wont bring it up past the current crf stock stuff

I've only spent about 20mins on a 250X but it felt pretty damn good. Bone stock. Firm but not harsh, very stable in rocks with no steering damper.

A properly revalved YZ should be at least as good as a stock CRF but won't be as good as a revalved CRF.......but the CRF probably doesn't NEED revalved for most guys......the YZ does! :cry:

thats what im trying to figure out. Is a revalved 03 better than stock crf suspensionwise

That's an almost impossible question to answer. It's like asking "Is a well set-up stock bike better for me than a works bike that isn't set up for me."

It would depend on how far from your ideal set-up the works bike is.

Here's another way to look at it. If you were going to run a marathon, would you want the very best running shoes that were a half size to large, or would you rather have a pair of Walmart shoes that fit you perfectly? Hope this helps.

I think we are much closer than stock to works..were talking 03 to updated 04/05 thats the benchmark Im trying to surpass Im not trying to get to works level .Im wanting one of the actual suspension tuners to give me their experienced opinion. Hey tuner guy suspensioon wise should I revalve mine or go buy new bike.

Dooweb, sorry if I sounded a little obtuse in my last post. I would think that if you are a really heavy or light person, or superfast, (or super slow), then re-valving and springing the 2003yzf would be better than a stock crf. But, if you are close to normal in weight and speed, it would be tough to beat the new Showa stuff. I have ridden some of that and it is flat out awesome stock.

I say this because the closer you are to what a stock bike is already set-up for, then the less improvement a re-valve is going to give you. Hope this helps. :cry:

That is more towards my thinking and thus my quandry. Im 39 yr old 185 novice mx rider lots of 60-80 foot jumps but lacking great corner speed.I feel like I should seel my bike add a grand ( the grand I would spend on revalve and big bore kit) and buy an 04 crf for 4500.00 of course I love my bike and am used to it and would have to find a buyer, blah blah blah. Im not sure Im ready for the weight and power of a 450 of course Im not sure that its not exactly what I need also .I am a fan of the showa set up.

As a novice rider you will find the power delivery of the YZf more to your liking. The shock is reasonable in standard trim, however the forks do require some work. Address the problems with the cylinder valve and revalve to suit your demands. You wont look back. I wouldn't bother with a big bore kit but a good pipe will add a lot more over-rev. Replace the standard front brake line with a steel braided unit and you will have a very enjoyable, confidence inspiring machine. Keep the valve clearences within spec and you will also have the most reliable four stroke 250 currently available.

The Duck