Sign in to follow this  

Beat the fork dead horse: why BBR?

with all the discussion about bbr's being too stiff, why not race tech or eidlebrock (sp?) or mx-tech where you can choose from different guages? MX-tech claims to offer the right one relative to height and weight and riding siutation.

http://www.mx-tech.com/sbw/itemdetail.asp?ItemType=I&ItemID=ForkSprings

So why are we always discussing bbrs or washer preloading or just running one bbr when there are other choices (I think)? Just curious. :cry:

If a name of a product gets repeated enough, then It's common for a message board to have a "cult following". Once that sets in place, the issue sort of takes a life of its own.

You're right to point out that Racetech and MXtech is the superstore outlet for springs and valving parts. That's where I've bought my springs before, (racetech) and they shipped me Eibach springs. (Racetech and MXtech don't manufacture springs, equipment costs in the six digits to mils)

So as Im sitting here considering new fork spring, with user preference asie, is there a general sizing chart for fork spring for the guage: ie a 5'10" 180# trail rider should try this gauge spring?

If stock is X (too soft) and bbr is .53 (too stiff)...(guess I just answered my own question a bit. :cry:

It's ok to mix springs. Try just one BBR. I've only heard good things about just using one. Everyone that has tried it thought it was a improvement over 2 stock springs or 2 BBR springs.:cry:

So why are we always discussing bbrs or washer preloading or just running one bbr when there are other choices (I think)? Just curious. :cry:

BBR was the first and only aftermarket supplier of 230 fork springs for a pretty decent period of time. There are alot of posts by default because there weren't any other springs to talk about and problems with them being too stiff generated still more posts. I don't happen to subscribe to the 2 different springs idea but that's the beauty of livin' in the USA. I'd explore the possibilities for matched springs. Racetech is supposed to be close to producing some too--if they haven't already.

The 230 front spring...isn't it wound to be a progressive spring?

What is the BBR spring -Straight rate or progressive?

BTW, I'd look up the spring rate off a XR250, and match your weight on that particular chart. THese two bikes compare near identical to weight and fork style.

The 230 front spring...isn't it wound to be a progressive spring?
Yes.
What is the BBR spring -Straight rate or progressive?
Straight.

Anyone want to split the cost of a set of BBR fork springs?

haha i was thinking the same thing, i would but i dont have the money right now. :cry:

Mine are supposed to come by Friday 4th 2005......cant wait!!!! i just put on the rear bbr spring, holy crap, yea its stiffer, and a few pounds heaver.

OK. I took minibikes dad and went to RaceTech and used their size caluclator for an XR250R based on my weight and trial use and they suggested I choose around a .441 spring from the following choices:

RT FRK SPR 34.9x438mm .40kg

RT FRK SPR 34.9x444mm .42kg

RT FRK SPR 34.9x444mm .44kg

RT FRK SPR 34.9x444mm .46kg

Seems right smack in between the stock and the BBR .53 stiff springs. :cry:

Might be the ticket. Can anyone verify for me that these XR250 measurements are an exact match to the 230 before I get them? HAving them fit would be nice :cry:

BTW, they are 109$ a set. A bit pricey.

i havent really totaly tested it on any jumps or anything, i'll keep ya posted

The CRF230F fork upper tube is 37mm od; the XR250R is 41mm od on 86-88 and maybe up to 91, and certainly larger from 96 on.

I doubt if the springs will even fit inside the 230F fork tubes.

Cripes. :cry:

Anyone know what the full dimesnions are for the 230 spring. Race Tech measures them 3 dimensionally like: 36.7 x 36.7 x 506 mm

Determined to a set that will fit the 230 but be in the .44 compression range.

The CRF230F fork upper tube is 37mm od; the XR250R is 41mm od on 86-88 and maybe up to 91, and certainly larger from 96 on.

I doubt if the springs will even fit inside the 230F fork tubes.

In addition to that just taking a inside diameter measurement at the top may not be sufficient as there is a slight internal taper. Don't know why or how much though. Race Tech honed my forks to get the emulator to go all they way down to the bottom. Now they just use the emulator they've been putting in the CRF150 in the CRF230.

:cry:

Jack up ur bike,

Take off the cap on the top of ur fork tubes, pull out the springs and measure them.

stock fork spring: 1.175" O.D X 23 5/16" long (slightly used, free condition)

BBR fork spring: 1.175" O.D. X 23 9/16" long (slightly used, free condition)

for MM multipy the inch dimension x 25.4