Sign in to follow this  

I am starting to get concern about my TTR and its problms.

Hey guys,

As you know that my TTR has had a rough life (I think) these are the problems that i have had, and i am having:

1. The left casing was cracked and leaked a ver small amount of some oil (had), and i kinda fixed it by appling a JB weld to it, ad has stoped the leaking.

2. The gears are at a point, where i will go to shift to like 4th or 5th, and when i shift, sometimes it will just loose all power to the rear wheel, and just rev like mad, and from there i either have to shift down or up to get going again. (have)

3. With the new BBR pipe installed and new Uni filter, my bike has a hard time starting, and has a harder time idling, and i am really puzzled cuz we put the bigger main jet in. (have)

4. After about 9 months of owening this bike i havent tooken it in to get a tune up or anything, and thats what has me really worried.

PLz any help or comments is so appreacted!! :cry::cry:

The shifting could be due to bent or damaged shift forks in the tranny; only disassembly will tell. Keep in mind these bikes were designed as learner/trail bikes, so the tranny may not hold up to hard use (clutchless shifting, banging hard on the shifter etc) like a true YZ or WR where they expect that kind of use.

As for the starting; if you only changed the main jet that only affects the top quarter of the power range. The air screw/pilot jet and needle affect idle and mid range and likely would also need some adjustment.

Sounds like you may be looking at a rebuild (for the tranny) which could be costly unless you feel up to tackling it yourself.:cry:

Sounds more like the clutch is just slipping in the higher gears. My son has rode the tar out of our TTR (1 season of 4 stroke mx, and a play bike ever since) and the tranny is fine. He does 45' stepdowns, 27' doubles, 35' triple, etc at our personal track and regularly smokes newcomers on 125 and 250 2 strokes. Course he has ridden this track for 3 years. He now rides a KXF250 when he ain't just playing.

Do you have any free play in the clutch lever? There is also an internal adjustment if you cannot get slack at the adjuster on the handlebars. You need a bigger pilot jet for the idleing problem, and drill out the "choke" passage to aid in cold start. Or just lay the bike on it's left side for a second to allow some fuel to spill in the intake for the initial cold start.

Look for the stock rims to go flat or the spokes to pull out of them, the frame to break between the engine and the rear shock(even with a cradle), the rear hub to burst, the stock fork springs to break, and the fork tubes to crack right below the lower triple clamp. Then you can say it has had a hard life!

Clutch slippage would be "consistent" (kinda...).

The fact if he shifts up or down it catches in gear would indicate something going on with the forks or shift drum.

If it was clutch slippage (that much) the clutch would be totally out in no time.

1. If not leaking, don't worry about it.

2. Sounds like tranny damage. Will prolly need rebuild.

3. Need to adjust mixture screw and/or idle speed.

Put a 17.5 piolt jet in the carb and that will help starting.How is the compression on the motor.

My TTR does the same thing with the shifting problem. Its probably from riding it like its not supposed to be ridden. as for the cracked case i would just but a new one to make sure no dirt gets into the engine and that it performs better. As for the idling and starting problem try changing the pilot jet and make sure the choke is working right. it did that on mine when we re jetted it because the choke did not snap into place right.

How have u been riding the bike? If u have been riding it very fast on motocross tracks or just doing big motocross jumps could be one of the problems. mine does the same things as yours does and i don't notice anything bad from it. Also did u do any airbox mods after or with the new jets? if you didn't u might just not be getting enough air to the motor.

these are all maintenance problems. the jetting problem is easy to fix.. so is the oil leaking, the false neutral is what they call that when you get in between gears.. that is probably a result of poor oil or hard shifting. I would try to swap out the oil first because that can loosen up the shifting drum if it is getting stuck. More likey its a bent fork though. change oil and shift with more authority and see if it gets better. don't speed shift!

these are all maintenance problems.

Exactly.these bikes are made to take a beaten but everything eventually will need maitnence.

Thanks for ur guys help!!,

About the hard shifting, well shit I probally do the complete opposite!! lol, I will admit when it comes to riding, I just cruise and enjoy, I have never well maybe once really push this bike to its limit.

OK so This weekend I am gonna try to get some more tranny oil, and me and my step dad ca hope fully adjust the clutch cable, and get the bigger pilot jet in.

Thanks guys for ur help!!! Anyone have any idea on how much this tranny rebuld could cost??

Thanks to all!!@!

I can have mine apart in about 3 hours so figure shop rate by about 6 hours. you may want to pull off the clutch side and watch it shift to see if the barrel is getting stuck before you tear into it. you could do that or have your mechanic look before he tears into it. If it's bad gears or shift fork you should figure another 100 bucks but it depends on what he finds. if there's just something holding up the barrel then it wouldn't be any parts. I gotta believe labor will be the big thing.