kickin..kickin...kickin.....

Oh my god! Im sick of kickin my xr400. I just bought it Saturday and I've never owned anything bigger than a 50. So, yeah I know i'm a rookie kicker but, I have no problems when the bike is warm. What can I do to make it easier to kick over when it's cold? Do you think I need to do some maintenance or buy a plug.....

Oh my god! Im sick of kickin my xr400. I just bought it Saturday and I've never owned anything bigger than a 50. So, yeah I know i'm a rookie kicker but, I have no problems when the bike is warm. What can I do to make it easier to kick over when it's cold? Do you think I need to do some maintenance or buy a plug.....
UUUUGGGGHHH ? :cry: I'll never forget the first day I bought mine...........Brought it home and kicked it like a retard :D ..................till I read the manual on starting procedures :D:devil:

BTW I had to bring it back to the dealer so they could prove to me the thing actually ran ? :cry: :mad:?:devil:

Before I bought my XR400 I test rode a new one with dual-sport kit. I thought it curious that the salesman pushed it out back to the shop to start it. Now I think I know why.

When you get the jetting right it should usually start in 1-2 kicks.? :cry:

Ok, I played around with the carb and checked out the "starting instructions." I started it 5 times on the first kick. Hmm, real test will be in the morning when I try to start it dead cold...any bets on the kick #?lol

:devil:? :cry: :devil::D :D ? :cry: :mad:

see that wasnt so bad was it :mad:

now have yer buddy try and start it:D ..........and bet him ten bucks he cant :D?

i hold my kill switch and pull my decompression lever in and kick it 3 or 4 times. get the feel for tdc, relese the kill switch and lever. blip the throttle, let off, and kick it. starts by the 3rd real kick everytime in 20 degree weather.

i hold my kill switch and pull my decompression lever in and kick it 3 or 4 times. get the feel for tdc, relese the kill switch and lever. blip the throttle, let off, and kick it. starts by the 3rd real kick everytime in 20 degree weather.

what positionis the choke in. Starting is alittle hard for me to in the cold.

Yea I was real Un-co when I first got my XR250 too.

I would put it on the stand and stand up on the peg balancing, and kick it like mad till it started! Dumb barsted!

Until I saw this guy come into work one day on some Yamaha trail bike, and when he left, he just jumped on it and stood on the ground and kicked it straight over standing there on the bike! I though wow he must be tough!

Then I tryed it, Heaps easer! After a while I mastered it. Its a peice a piss now! Dont worry you'll get the hang of it!

All I do is, just push it through with the kick start until you can feel it stop on compression, then give it a good hard as I can KICK! and it starts either first time or a couple later!

When its cold I put the choke on full, then let it run for a few seconds, turn the choke off and go.

Good Luck!?

Save yourself the trouble of kicking the SOB.... pull the restriction on teh airbox and get a power tip for the exhaust and REJET! 58-160 will get it runing in 6-8 kicks in a chicago winter...

In increases the overall performance and make this bad boy that much less annoying when you are ready to go ride.

get the feel for tdc, relese the kill switch and lever. blip the throttle, let off, and kick it.

I've also heard that you should not touch the throttle when trying to start an XR400, so I never do. Mine starts fine when the engine is cold, as long as the outside temperature is not too chilly. It takes a bit longer in very cold weather, so maybe I'll try the "Blip" method...

By the way, my USERNAME has nothing to do with how long it takes me to start my XR ?

Hey this might be a stupid question... but what is the starting procedure?? I'm kind of a kick it and kick it guy right now, but if there's a better solution I'd love to hear it. Thanks guys

Chris

when the xr4 is new or your new to the xr4 it sure is a chore trying to start that beast, but after you learn the bike it becomes second nature. After the Gord's mod's the bike starts after 2-3 kicks every time. How I start my bike now is like this:

1) choke full on

2) 3 guick twists of the throttle

3) find top dead center

4) kick hard and it starts

5) give it a little throttle until it keeps going

6) turn the choke off and increase the idle screw

I use to get soo ? at the bike when it was new, the thing would not start in cooler weather. It's one of those bikes that get easier to start as the bike gets older or used more.

My two cents,

I hold the compression lever and kick about 8-10 times full throttle. Then I turn the idle up three quick twist ( black knob). Full choke, then find TDC. One or two kicks every time no matter the temp. Once you warm up turn the idle back down.

Yahfrickenhooo ?