Sign in to follow this  

Down Under RMZ First ride & Racing Pics

Gday all,

Sorry for the delay with this posting.

I assembled my 450 out of the crate last Thursday, drained oil, added hour meter, checked over bolts and Air cleaner ready.

Friday first ride: the bike fired second kick, allowed for warm up then smoothly away for a gentle feel around the sandy ex MX track out bush. I rode the bike for 10 min then let it cool down before restarting. The RMZ is so light and the front end very twitchy in the soft terrain. Wound the rebound in a few clicks and softened up the compression on the front 2 clicks, sag was set to 104mm. Back out on the track my son (on a RM125 05) and i took to the trails and started to pick up the pace on the 450. My previous bike was a RM250 03, this 4 stroke felt so good all over, the power was getting stronger with every twist of the throttle. 1.5 hours later i noticed i had destroyed the rear tyre, totally ripped to shreds,, damn, the soft compound could handle harsh rocky terrain tracks we had ridden to. The pictures show the bike on the soft sandy track.

RMZ001.jpg

RMZ002.jpg

RMZ003.jpg

RMZ004.jpg

RMZ013.jpg

Saturday: new rear tyre fitted, final check over Suzi, 14/42 gearing

Sunday Deep Well Race 3 x 30min + 1 lap motos

The bike was ready, the tempreture hit 40c and when the shot gun went off you had to climb on your bike and kick it over at the start of the race, being new to bike i stayed at the rear first race, 2 kicks, drop her it into gear and away. The track was 12km long and all sandy whoops with a huge sandhill to grab some air and 3 short dry mud flats to wind the bike out in top. You couldnt see for 4 corners, following 40 riders in deep sand was going to be tuff. I found a nice clean line and passed 5 guys on the first bit of straight, the RMZ power to ground is huge, no traction problems at all, just roll it on and hang on. I tipped in to hard next corner and washed out the front end, minor fall and i had a handful of clutch so the suzi kept running i set of again. The suspension was handling well but the bike was so twitchy, i wrestled with the front for all of the first race and finished 4th in my class. I pushed the forks all the way through to flush with the clamps. Second and third race were crash free with track rutted out bad and awesome power of the bike pulling me along all the way, i passed a big XR650 who tried to drag race me as we hit the mud flat together but he was no match for the sheer instant grunt of the RMZ

Overall i finished 3rd in my class and rapt with the bike.

Short note,,,,, We had another RMZ450 out on the track and he crashed and put the fuel tap into the radiator???? what a mess, luke was in the lead of all the riders and pulling away when he crashed out.

Dont bag me out on the riding style of pics tooo much, these were taken last race, 40c temps, i was knackered,...lol...

deepwell05004.jpg

deepwell05002.jpg

deepwell05003.jpg

deepwell05005.jpg

Not one to talk and make fun, but dude, you look scared to death in some of those pics!! Picking mine up on the 19th--maybe I won't be laughing as hard after a twist of the wrist!!!

I cant believe you tore up that Bridgestone tire. Mine has been taking a beating like a champ. Dirt Rider even commented on how tough they were...

What kind of terrain tore up the tire? I beat the heck out of mine on some sharp rocks/climbs and couldnt even tell.

I dont see where he looks scared, maybe cautious? I look scared on mine...

Dont bag me out on the riding style of pics tooo much, these were taken last race, 40c temps, i was knackered,...lol...

Oh...hell, I look worse than that after five laps, let alone at the end of the third moto doing 30 minutes + one each.

Congratulations on the new rig. Keep the reports coming.

"gregghealy"

We have alot of hardpacked ground out here which is all rock underneath, a few guys cut out a natural terrain track and i was cutting out laps on the circuit and getting a feel for the bike, i couldnt believe i killed the tyre. Maybe we were given a different tyre down here to you guys up there. Pirrelli now on the back and im keeping my riding to softer sand.