Sign in to follow this  

Getting a crf250r tomorow...

Im a thumper noob...Anything in peticular i should do? Im gonna vent the air hoses, get some no-toil air filters and oil, bills exhaust, and just a few looks upgrades...I weigh 150 lbs and from what I hear thats a good weight for the crfs stock spring rate...Is that correct? Off course ill break it in, change the oil regularly, all that stuff... The oil is seperate so can i run 2 stroke tranny oil in the transmision on it? Thanks in advance :cry:

no-toil air filters and oil
NoToil oil, cleaner and grease are great and I use them all. My only experience with the NoToil air filter was not good. It wouldn't seal to the air box on my XR400. I'd suggest getting a few OEM filters and stay with stock - they're pretty good.
I weigh 150 lbs and from what I hear thats a good weight for the crfs stock spring rate...Is that correct?
You'll probably be on the light side, but pretty close with the stock springs. The X has slightly softer springs than the R (according to Ramsey, 4.8/0.42 for the X versus 5.3/0.45 for the R) and I get perfect race/static sag at 155 lbs.
break it in
Hard break-in seems to work best with these engines. Here's what I did and I've had zero oil useage in 380 miles.
The oil is seperate so can i run 2 stroke tranny oil in the transmision on it?
Yes. I use only Pro Honda HP Trans Oil (red bottle). Good stuff.

One last thing. I burst my front tube over a relatively small rock nearly two weeks ago. You might want to upgrade to HD tubes before you have to.

...I weigh 150 lbs and from what I hear thats a good weight for the crfs stock spring rate...Is that correct?
I run the "R" model and I agree with skipn8r - you'll get a much better setup with lighter springs/shock (.42 and 4.8 or 5.0). You can get it dialed pretty close with the stock but you really get the sweet treatment with the lighter stuff on there. :cry:

dude when i picked up my 05 crf250r from the dealers i had to crank the suspension up and stiffen it alot (im a 150 pound rider)

dude when i picked up my 05 crf250r from the dealers i had to crank the suspension up and stiffen it alot (im a 150 pound rider)

Spring rates for rider weight, and overall stiffness (damping) for rider speed can be two totally different needs...spring rates are set for weight first, regardless of skill.

If your damping levels are too soft/stiff for your speed, changing springs doesn't do alot for ride comfort, it just gets softer or stiffer in the rough stuff, true bottoming control is handled by damping, and if you use springs to do that, you will end up way too stiff at that end and sacrifice control in the small to medium hits.

i was bottoming everything...it didnt help that the incredible power and smoothness through corners rocketed me off jumps :cry: