Sign in to follow this  

Skid plate's

Right now I have a Flatland Skid plate.

It works great. Does what it's supposed to (many times over).

But I keep looking at the Carbon Fiber plates and 1/2 the weight looks appealing.......but can it really take the hits?

I was checking out the post from TC and his Death Defining Epic in Hawaii.

Could a Carbon fiber plate take all that?

My initial reaction would be NO.

MAYBE it would not break but could it flex enough to allow rock-to-engine case

contact?

Any insight out there?

G

I would think that carbon fiber would be a lot more brittle and suspect to break than aluminum. Besides aluminum is a lot cheaper and does the same thing:thumbsup:

When you're talking about a 2lb skidplate, if that, I can't imagine 1lb making enough of a difference to consider switching. My Works Connection plate weighs so little yet gives me such piece of mind (and there are many plates out there with much better coverage than the WC).

I had one on my 450 for over 2 yrs. it held up well but had some big gouges and cracked on the winged side. Structurally it held up well considering the rocks I ride in but I went with the Flatland on the 250 and I love it, except I had to trim the wing down on the brake side. I kept hitting the plate instead of the brake lever with my boot.

I had one on my 04 250R and literallty cracked it in half while going through some rocky whoops, and every time I hit the bottom of it really hard on a jump landing or a roky flat landing it would chunk a little, held up good for a while, but I am going to stick to aluminum.

I had an E-line on my YZ400. I don't know about the other brands but the E-line wasn't really "Carbon Fiber". They are a couple of layers of CF over fiberglass. I never bought another...I never broke but I was always worried about it.

I think you'll be happest in the long run with Aluminum. :cry:

I hear you all loud and clear and you are all echoing my thoughts.

I am very happy with my Flatland skid plate and have no need to replace it.

I'm just going thru a "how can I lighten my bike" phase right now.

I love my X and at this point, all I have to do is put gas in and go (knock on wood) and that is how I should leave it.

Thanks for your all your input.

G