Sign in to follow this  

Why do air cooled bikes have radiator shrouds?

Radiator Shrouds on Aircooled Bikes?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Radiator Shrouds on Aircooled Bikes?

• They are Sexy and Stylish
    • They are Poser and the Trend Needs to STOP

The shrouds on my XT350 directed air down into the plug area that was buried deep between the twin cam covers. I thought they were poser junk and took them off in cool weather. But they made a difference in hot weather so they stayed in the summer. IMO they looked stupid and I liked the bike better without them.

To stray a bit here, the radiator shroud broke on my 1970-version F250 pickup (which really IS watercooled) and I couldn't get a replacement. Didn't matter: works exactly the same without one -- never the slightest trace of overheating, no matter how much I haul around or sit in traffic on the hottest summer day.

(Actually, with that truck they give you a LOT of extra, unnecessary bits & pieces. Good thing, since quite a few of them are strewn along the highways here and there.)

I think the manufacturers of race bikes w/ radiators like to give the "other" bike enthusiasts the same style of bike. I would have to agree because bikes w/shrouds on them do look more hip. I think they are done specifically for the pre-teen market that want to look like thier idols!:cry:

Anyone remember the air scoop that DG made back in the early 80's? It was all the rage for increasing airflow to the fins. I was so gheto fabulous back then that I made one from a plastic milk jug.

Anyone remember the air scoop that DG made back in the early 80's? It was all the rage for increasing airflow to the fins. I was so gheto fabulous back then that I made one from a plastic milk jug.

I forgot about it until now! Classic! Especially your milk jug version! Have that "Factory" translucent white plastic look! :cry:

It's kind of the same reason Honda switched from XR to CRF. They sell easier if the kids think they are riding real moto bikes. It's all about the looks. That is why everyone likes me!!! :cry:

well same with 80cc when i used to race 80's they one radiator shroud which was kind of weird looking down on your tank now the 80's i have seen at the track have in on both ...i think they should of had on both from the get go

why do we all get warm and fuzzy when we see that Honda commercial where the kids are singing 'Ride, ride', rideeee...., RIDE!'

we are programed by horrilbe marketing geeks.

its the same with the shrouds...

Twenty years ago I bought a new '85 ATC200X tripod and it had shrouds. Of course, being the moron I am, I bought some BIGGER ones from Phase 5 'cause they were actually advertised to increase airflow and help make more power! I was a dumbass then and not too much smarter now, according to my wife...