Sign in to follow this  

Natural vs synthetic vitamins

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two? I have heard that the natural multis are more easily absorbed but I can't find out for sure. All the websites I have looked at seem to sell one or the other and are bias as to what they sell.

Good question. Not sure you can get any truthful information on it. I did read a couple of articles a few years back where someone did some studies and their claim was that the body processed the natural and synthetic vitamins the same. The study was funded by a big manufacturer, so some bias might be there. From my own experience, I have never really noticed any difference from natural vs synthetic vitamins. It would be nice to find a study that had no bias in it. Maybe someone on this site will find something.

FWIW-My first-year college chemistry prof said there was no difference between synthetic and natural vitamins, the molecules were identical. Sellers of the natural version will tend to disagree, and sellers of the synthetics will tend to agree. The prof wasn't selling anything but knowledge.

Willy

Anything from a natural food source would be better absorbed than a synthetic, molecularly they may be the same but your body knows. The best research seem to suggest that supplements which are pressed together from inorganic componds and sources are not readily absorbed by the body. The most readily absorbed seem to be colloidal vitamins and minerals, which are bound in suspension. I have seen numerous xrays of the lower large intestine and you can see vitamin pills in the colon, at that point they are too far down to be absorbed at all. Colloidal supplements are more expensive but the increased absorption may be well worth it!