Sign in to follow this  

Knee braces or knee pads?

I go back and forth between the two. I don`t think braces do anything for you but it`s hard to go back once you have worn them for a while. It`s more of a mental thing. I think all of the braces are a gimmik.(spelling) What do you all think?

I think if you have the money get braces. Knee pads are better than nothing but no comparison to braces.

They both protect knee and Shin area from impact damage. However only the knee braces protect or minimize over extension which can be a serious injury. Although some have prevented overextension to the knee and knee surgery only to break their femur instead of damaging their knee with the knee brace. Once your femur heals your much more likely to have better mobility than if you tore apart your knee joint IMHO, and you're bound to get varying opinions!

I just purchased and am looking forward to receiving the new EVS vision knee braces for 225.- through Rockymountainmc.

good luck, ride safe and moto on!

Mototoad

I have a CTI prescription for my left that was completley reconstructed in 1987. Great brace but it cost close to a grand. I just recently purchased an EVS WEB for my good right knee ($325?). I've had some fitment issue's and am waiting for some new pads from EVS that should work. When I do get the parts I will make a post with pictures, probably in the next week or two.

I will say that I am reletively impressed with the Web brace and if I can get the right parts to make it fit I will be happy.

I have read all the different opinions between using pads and braces. I myself have chosen to use HRP Pads. I think they are called the XT 2002. The best set of pads I have ever bought, they offer great protection and can take a real beating.

some people probably need knee braces. your best bet is to be slender and fit, and do some bicycling and/or weightlifting do build up the muscles around your knee and stabilize the joint.

do you guys that wear knee braces for dirtbiking also wear them for other activities? seems to me like skiing, snowboarding, volleyball, basketball, etc... offer at least as much risk to knee ligaments.

mw

I used the Thor knee guards last season and was fortunate enough not to have any tremendous spills or impacts. They are bulky, but surprisingly comfy once you get used to them.

That said, I had ACL reconstruction in my left knee a number of years ago and had a scope in December /05 to remove bone fragments from my right knee.

I have always had a custom brace for my left leg but it does not have a knee cup(so I seldom wore it for MX). I have since had a custom brace made for my right leg and will receive it in a few weeks. This time around I ordered the knee cup accessory for both braces. I was going to buy either the EVS Web or the Asterisk, but my health care plan flips the bill for the custom brace which is worth $1550 CDN (each).

From the research I did previously you can't go wrong with the EVS or Asterisk, as both offer ergonomic design and good fittment without blowing the wod for custom braces.

The way I see it if someone can spend $500+ on an exhaust, or wheels, or any performance or bling mod, they should be able to justify the cost of some legitimate safety equipment, besides the braces could be used for skiing or playing hockey, tennis, or baseball. The bottom line is get what you can afford.

cheers,

mike

:cry:

Thanks for letting them know what they are really for, JohnnyO. I also wear my shin/knee gaurd on top of my GII Unloader. It would be nice to have a brace with a knee gaurd built in, because the shin gaurd part of my pads just protects more where my boot already protects; which isn't a bad thing.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

After your first knee surgery you will no longer think they don't "Do" anything for you. :cry:

I bought Asteriks two years ago after a bad MCL strain skiing. The next day I woke up and couldn't move it hurt so bad, feared this might end not only my skiing, but dirt biking and bicycling as well, which I do almost everyday. It took a couple weeks to clear up and scared me pretty good. I investigated the options and decided on "riks" because I thought they would work for both skiing and mc'ing. Now I think if I forgot them, I'd pack up and head home from the slopes, they are that good.:cry:

I am currently in therapy for a torn ACL and other problems. I asked my therapist and doctor about knee braces. They told me If I wanted them They would prescribe them, but they also indicated that they might not help. As it turns out, research shows that knee braces do not necessarily prevent damage. They can be more effective for self confidence. As you can see from the previous people are very dead set on what seems to work for them. As for me, the was the research shows is the way I go... None for me.

Speaking from experiance, I raced a lot of years with out braces and it wore on my knees. I say spend the money for the extra support. :cry:

As it turns out, research shows that knee braces do not necessarily prevent damage. They can be more effective for self confidence.

why do you hate america? what kind of liberal relies on facts and research?

haha, seriously, that is interesting. since your claim agrees with my reasoning and behavior, i'll just accept it as truth without looking into it any further.

mw

I have bad knees from years of playing sports when I was younger. My doctor said that the braces would absolutely be a good thing to wear while I was riding so he prescribed me some CTI2's. Helps with both hyperextension injuries and adds lateral support for your ligaments. I am so used to wearing them now that I do not even notice them. Instead of the joint taking all of the pressure, it is applied evenly over a much larger area. Ligaments tear a lot easier than a bone will break, so you are more prone to ligament damage without braces than you would be to breaking a bone with them.

This comes up time and time again and just like anything else it is your decision on which ones you should get. But since you asked I will never ride a again with out braces. If there is even a chance they could save an ACL tear then they are worth their weight in gold. After reconstructive surgery I am sure you will have the same opinion. Personally, I would want to avoid the surgery and just get the braces. I am too late for that, my new ACL is 4 weeks old. Good luck.

why do you hate america? what kind of liberal relies on facts and research?

haha, seriously, that is interesting. since your claim agrees with my reasoning and behavior, i'll just accept it as truth without looking into it any further.

mw

:cry: Now that's funny!

Just get braces.

I got them purely for "impact upon crashing" reasons.

Not for twisting or hyper-extension reasons or cause

I have bad knees.

I got the EVS Web braces and love them.

They have some hefty cracks in the thigh and shin area

from crashing. All I know is that would've really hurt without them.

I wear asteriks.

My Doctor advised me that most knee injuries are cause by a twisting of the knee. NO knee brace can prevent this. He jokingly said that if there was a knee brace that protected from that, he would be out of business.

However; my knee injury that fractured my tibia, and tore my ACL was cause by my knee hyper-extending backwards. This could have been avoided with a knee brace.

My conclusion.....I will NEVER again ride hard without them.

Knee braces don't make you invincible, but they do give stability to a weak knee and can help avoid injuries.