Sign in to follow this  

250Exc VS Wr250f

Does anyone one own a 250 exc 2-stroke?, can u tell me what there like compared to a WR250f. What do you think would be better for a 16 year old.

The 250exc is a wooded out version of the sx, more torque, heavier flywheel etc. It all depends on your riding style, are you fairly agressive rider or do you like to take it easy in the saddle and lug a gear higher. If so a four stroke is the way to go, if you like to really get into it go the two-stroke, you will be faster. Either way it's all good:thumbsup:.

Don't mind my spelling the spell check is down:excuseme:

Kinda unfair to compare those 2 bikes. Hands down the 250EXC (smoker) will eat the WR-250F in all departments. Both are great bikes though but for a 16 yr old, if he is less experienced I'd go the WR-250F it'll be an easier bike on the rider.

i would go with the wr250f because its a real 250f, the exc is just a sleaved 400 that is heavy.

250 EXC Two-Stroke, not thumper. It all depends on if the kid's style lends itself towards two stroke or thumper.

the 250exc is a pretty easy bike to ride for a 2-stroke. compared to a 250f, the exc is lighter, faster, cheaper, more reliable, easier to maintain, etc....

i can't really see any reason to buy a 250f except for mx racing against 125's, but i kinda like 2-strokes.

250 EXC Two-Stroke, not thumper. It all depends on if the kid's style lends itself towards two stroke or thumper.

Exactly. I own the '04 250 EXC 2 stroke and love it. It's fairly mellow down low. Good torque and doesn't have a massive hit like a motorcross bike. Great mid range. And when you wind it up, it screams on top, so its fun. You can putt around on it when you want, and you can get loose and screaming when you want. :cry:

And I think they're a bargain, especially a well maintained 1 or 2 year old one. Check out ktmtalk.com for more info on KTM's.

I also have a buddy that has a WR250F and did a few miles of single track on it and loved it. I was surprised how well it got down the trail and how much power it had. Felt nice and light too (not as light as the 2 stroke of course).

I think you would love either one. And of course, the old, if you get a chance to ride them, that should tell you all you need to know.

Good luck. :cry: -Ed

The wr has something like a wide ratio gears and you have to know how to ride it i would go with the crf250x its about the same price but i think its better. thats the bike i wanna get

The wr has something like a wide ratio gears and you have to know how to ride it i would go with the crf250x its about the same price but i think its better. thats the bike i wanna get

OPPPS sorry guys i thought you were talking about the thumper.

What the heck are you talking about? WR stands for WIDE RATIO, not something like a wide ratio. The 250X has pretty much the same gear ratio. All in all the 250X and the WR are pretty much the same.

As for the KTM vs the WR250, how can you compair 2 different bikes. Now if you said the KTM250 vs the WR450 you would be more on the same line.

2005 KTM 250 E/XC

MSRP: $6,398

Claimed Weight: 226 lb

The WR250F. Your favorite trails await.

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price...$5,899*

Oh and why you guys are at it, explain to me HOW the KTM is cheaper??? I just do not see that when looking at the MSRP's. Above quotes are taken direct from the factory websites.

If you can get the 05 exc, go for it. It is much faster than the 04 from what I heard in the magazines. It (The 05) has a top-end much like the motocrosser, yet it is smoother. If you can't afford the 05, I would get the WR. They are heavier and slower, but have more torque than all years exc except the 05.

I can't see comparing the 2 either, different animals. The only thing they have in common is soft suspension and wide ratio gearing. The KTM is lighter, faster and cheaper to maintain. By the time you uncork the WR, throw away the cheap ass chain and handlebars the MSRPs get closer and the WR will still be slower, heavier and won't have a juice clutch. A 250 2 stroke is more comparable to a 450 4 stroke.

Comparing a 250exc to a WR250 is like comparing apples to oranges...no pun intended :cry:

I've always been a huge fan of the WR...great trail bike, but it really isnt somehthing to compare to a KTM two stroke, and that's just the way things are. I ended up on a CRF 250X just because WR's weren't green sticker here in California, pity. 250X is a great bike though, highly recommended.

~Cheers

Jeff

i think you might look in the 200exc/kdx200 for a 2 stroke if you comparing the two and if it was me i think i would say ktm 200 but 250cc two stroke for a 16yr old is a bit much to handle

The KTM will be a whole lot more fun. The KTM 200 EXC would be more in line with the WR250F and 04's are way cheaper than the 4-stroke. The 250 EXC is closer to the 450cc 4-strokes as someone else mentioned.

I had a 250cc 2-stroke when I was 15 and it was no problem. That's when they went fast and had drum brakes so stopping was the big issue. :cry:

If you can get the 05 exc, go for it. It is much faster than the 04 from what I heard in the magazines. It (The 05) has a top-end much like the motocrosser, yet it is smoother. If you can't afford the 05, I would get the WR. They are heavier and slower, but have more torque than all years exc except the 05.

What are you talking about? No way the WR250F has more torque then the KTM250 EXC 2 STROKE.

You sure you're not talking about the 250 EXC 4 stroke?

The 250 EXC 2 stroke and the 250 EXC 4 stroke are two completely different bikes.

He was asking about the 250 EXC 2 stroke.

i think you might look in the 200exc/kdx200 for a 2 stroke if you comparing the two and if it was me i think i would say ktm 200 but 250cc two stroke for a 16yr old is a bit much to handle

i don't know nuthin, but imho a 250exc is an easier and more forgiving bike than a 200exc to ride.

I don't know a damn thing about either bike but I've spent mucho time on a buddies 300EXC and without a doubt, that'll be my next bike. I was expecting a hit like a 250 2stroke MX bike but what it does is simply amazing. Nice, manageable power down low and all the way through the spectrum. It freakin' screams at the top.

The 300 EXC reminded me of an XR400 that went to Jenny Craig, then World Gym. Lots of torque, lighter weight, more power.

I believe the 250 EXC was sold out last year. That might tell you something.

Otherwise, you're comparing a 125cc class bike with a 250cc class bike.

When I went to enduros, it looked like a KTM convention.

i dont know nuttin 'bout nuttin -- i mean i am one stupid son of a beech, damn i is stupid and all .......but IMHO every 16 year old should be steered toward living a good life, striving for the best, being all he and or she can be, and that means riding a TE 250 Husky!

:cry: