Sign in to follow this  

400S digital odometer reset?

Hi guys, I've asked this before n I need to seek answers (if any) again.

Can't find any related postings about anyone resetting their digital odometer, so sorry if this happens to be a repeat.

Had clocked 99999km with my 2000' S model, and the total distance freezed at the 99,999s. So be it. But somehow even the tripmeters frozed up, n I'm now left w no idea how much fuel I've got in the tank!

Help! Anyone? Is it possible to reset the odometer? Had tried alot of ways but can't get rid of the 99999s.

sorry i can't answer your question. hopefully someone will. buy holy Sh*#! you've got over 100,000 kilometers on your drz! cool.:cry::applause:

have you done a rebuild or any major work? if so what?

don't wanna hijack but i'm curious!

eric

Yeah, I understand your curiosity. :cry:

In fact, I had that meter frozen in late 2003, I think. Amazing indeed, thats becos I used the DRZ to run my courier work, covering around 140km daily. Bike was bought brand new in March'00.

If I'm not wrong, got the cam chain replaced at somewhere 50,000km. Wasn't broken, jus abit noisey. Cam chain tensioner changed in 2003 i think.

Had my generator coil toasted a little when it's about 2yrs old, due to a shorted battery connector. So replaced coil, battery n rectifier.

Bike was going good at 80,000+km but piston seem to sound a little 'off', so replaced piston+rings, valves, shims then.

Maybe I rode like a *****, cos I'm still on the stock clutch plates! :cry:

P.S. My DRZ-S was mainly rode on road n seldom at top rev, as I had a 2 stroke for offroad use. This could be the reason why it lasted so well.

The eprom chip or IC or whatever they use in the speedo was problaly never programed to return to zero and there is not enough digits for 100 000 km's. Wow that's amazing mileage, if anyone ever had doubts about the DRZ's reliability this is the post for them. Can't see many dirtbikes do that kinda mileage !

thanks for the answer! hope someone comes up with an answer to your question!

amazing milage and still going.

good luck :cry::cry:

You should be a commercial for Suzuki! How often do you change oil? My 00' S has only 5000 miles so I guess I'll keep her for a while. Sorry I can't help with your question...Good luck! :cry:

Just a thought, what happens if you change the reading to Miles. Maybe they set it up as mile internally and convert the internal miles to kilometers for display. This would give you errors in display but the odo would still be working. Like I said, just a thought.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Starting to appear like that's the end of life for the cool meter. The speed n clock still work, but whats the point. :cry:

Concerning the miles vs km setting, it seems like there are at least 2 versions of this meter. The one on mine do not have the 'set' button on the extreme right. So this version was meant to only run on 'km'.

Honestly, the bike's synthetic oil change happens about every 3000km or so, and got to admit oil filter replacements were probably between every 4 or 5 oil changes. :cry:

This bike sure is reliable, but then again, this DRZ-S was ridden in a very moderate manner. :cry:

Just bought a new DRZ, 2004 and its posts like these that make me realize I picked the right motor. I am only 99650 km away from having that same problem! :cry:

Thanks for the replies, guys. Starting to appear like that's the end of life for the cool meter. The speed n clock still work, but whats the point. :cry:

i'm afraid you are in uncharted territory. maybe noone else in this group has put more than 99999 on a drz.

it might not be possible to reset to avoid odometer fraud! that sucks for you. i'm sure quite a few people are replacing the speedo with a lighter model for weight reduction purposes. maybe you could post a request for someone to donate one if you pay for the shipping.

another possibility that might be easier would be to put a bicycle speedo on it. catseye makes a good one. some people say they are more accurate than there OEM speedos!

good luck,

eric

Given that OTP’S “one time programmable devices”

Are cheaper than EEPROM “electrically erasable programmable read only memory”

And that you are not supostoo reset the odometer

The only way would be to

Replace the IC “ you cant by IT”

Emulate the IC “ lots of work”

Get a new Speedo

Congrats on the KaSSS

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Well, the digital meter has been packed in some box for some time, presently the bike's running on a classic type OEM speedometer off my 97' RMX250S.

It's jus a shame Suzuki configured the digital meter this way. :cry:

A pal had suggested it might be possible to find n replace the 'chip' or something inside, but I figured I'm too lazy. :cry:

Oh yeah, Cateye has great bicycle computers. They retail way cheaper then the Panoram TrailTech, and are really bulletproof. Had mounted a Cateye Velo8 on the RMX, n this little thing recently survived a trip in the washing machine! :cry:

Well, the digital meter has been packed in some box for some time, presently the bike's running on a classic type OEM speedometer off my 97' RMX250S.

It's jus a shame Suzuki configured the digital meter this way. :cry:

A pal had suggested it might be possible to find n replace the 'chip' or something inside, but I figured I'm too lazy. :cry:

Oh yeah, Cateye has great bicycle computers. They retail way cheaper then the Panoram TrailTech, and are really bulletproof. Had mounted a Cateye Velo8 on the RMX, n this little thing recently survived a trip in the washing machine! :cry:

you da man!

by the way. what mods did you do to that long life bike if any. any pics. we'd like to see a pic. i'm sure i'm not the only one that's cuious about the asthetics of a 100000 kilometer drz! for better or worse!

sorry noone has offered the magic bullet cure so far for your problem, but i appreciate your perspective on a well used drz! :cry:

let me know if you get over to osaka! :cry:

Yep sounds like you have the non changable kilometer type. 99kms, seems to be about 62,000 miles. So I guess your pushing towards 70,000 miles.

That's pretty high milege I agree, you did a piston at 80KMS , thats about 50,000 miles. how much wear did you have on piston and rings?

According to my regular mechanic, there were only minor wear in the ring grooves. And since the cyclinder is apart, it only made sense that we put in a new set of piston n rings. Oh, plus to pamper the bike, I got it new overhead valves too, as the old set were worn too.

I'd get on to Suzuki and give'm a bit of the old "Top bike, reliable as hell, love everything about it except... my speedo has clocked out..."

They may come to the party with another one for you. I'd offer you mine as I fitted a trailtech but, if I need a roadworthy down the track the trailtech wont cut it...

My riding buddy has 140,000 miles on a DR350. Stock rings, piston. He also complained to Suzuki because the odo din't have enough numbers on it. They told him good job hung up. He doesn't have a digital one. It rolled over twice. You guys should meet. Sounds like ypu would get along quite well.