Sign in to follow this  

Out of range GPS

I am thinking about buying a Garmin eTrex Vista GPS.

I am in the Army stationed in Korea.

Will this GPS unit still navigate when you are out of the limits of the map that is installed?

I am interested in buying a unit that will give me a MGRS reading for work use.

I could care less about buying a Korea map to install into the Vista.

For recreational use I would like to be able to navigate in and out of the mountains on my KLX400S. Can I still do this without a map installed? I am thinking that it will work but you will just not get any landmarks and/or terrain features. Am I correct? I will be back in the US in 5 months then I can use the Vista to its full potential.

dunno. but if you don't get a good response here, ask the guys at gaijinrider.com. a lot of nice military guys in japan that know too much about this kinda stuff.

later,

eric

Will this GPS unit still navigate when you are out of the limits of the map that is installed?

Yes it will, you just won't have maps underlying your "bread-crumb trail."

Cheers, :cry:

You might try talking the Army into buying the a Bluechart just in case that gives you some additional local info. Use you one free unlock code to open Asia East. :cry:

MapSource BlueChart Pacific

Garmin Part Number: 010-10319-00

I have an older Garmin (GP45XL) and you should be able to set it up to whatever area you are in. I would thing you would have all the proper maps to the area you set it up for 'cause they sell them all over the world.

CatFlip,

>> I am thinking about buying a Garmin eTrex Vista GPS.

I am in the Army stationed in Korea. <<

I'm with the State Dept station in Swaziland and have a similar problem...except there aren't any maps of this country for me to not buy. :cry:

I have the eTrex Vista C model. I very highly recommend that you get the C model (color screen). It won't do much for you now, but when you get back to the States and start using the maps it comes with, they are so much easier to read than on the black & white screen.

You can use it out of the range of the map, but will only see the "bread crumb" trail like #319 says. I'm not sure what a MGRS reading is though...

Stay south of the 37th parallel and you'll be okay! :cry:

Cheers,

Mac