Sign in to follow this  

What else should i replace?

i have an '02 model that i race supermoto with. i currently have the motor out and am replacing the intake valves, intake/exhaust springs, and worn out clutch hub. what else shall i replace while i have it apart(cam chain adjuster, etc)? i don't have a mint to dump on this thing. i would like more performance out of it. but i mostly want reliability. have any of you used internal engine coatings? my inlaws build race car motors and use a variety of coatings. they said i could throw some parts in on their next lot as they pay by the pound. also, upon removal of the head, the thing has two head gaskets? is this normal? i ordered a new head gasket. but i was wondering if the previous owner ran a smaller base and larger head gasket. i'm going to call him and ask. the dude is a racer that works at a honda dealer. but i don't think he's much of a mechanic. so he may have no idea. thanks.

I take it you're replacing the piston and rings too? I would replace the cam chain and get an 04-05 cam chain tensioner too since there have been some 02 tensioner failures.

i thought of replacing the piston. but a JE is at least $150. should i check on a oem '04? i have no idea what that cost. thanks for the reply.