Sign in to follow this  

RMZ450 and CRF450 back to back

From a beginners perspective:

I only took 4 laps on an 05 CRF450 yesterday. Both of these bikes are very fast... From my perspective the RMZ is a little faster down the straights and handles a little better. The RMZ feels slightly heavier lifting it to put it on a stand and maybe a little heavier feeling on the track. The CRF was very smooth, the RMZ may be a little less refined feeling but not much. A couple other 450s out there didnt seem like they could pull me coming down the straights either. Of course, because I suck, they would come around me somewhere else though...

We ended up just riding and not getting into the suspension setup, after checking out the tracks he wanted to go somewhere where there are some whoops/braking bumps/rough stuff. We are probably going to hit Glen Helen this weekend...

He had racing gas in the CRF too... The CRF had trick suspension so it felt really nice. I have the shock cranked down on mine to make sag (Im heavy) and the back end still feels a bit tight. I felt happier tossing the RMZ around, but then again I only did 4 laps on the CRF and the Suzuki feels more familiar.

Even with this awesome new MX bike, I STILL SUCK. I need to get some videos or something. I started clearing some smaller doubles but still have sissy fever coming up to the bigger ones. By the end of the day yesterday playing on some of the smaller stuff I was feeling pretty good and getting a mcu hbetter feel jumping. Hopefully next time out I will conquer this fear...

Congrats on the new bike. :cry:

Take the jumping thing slow becasuse the older you get the harder you fall. I took a spill over the bars and man did it hurt! Took the breath right out of me and I'm 32!

In my younger days I would brush it off and immediatly get back on the bike, but now I stare at the sky, gather my thoughts, take deep breaths, and make sure all my limbs move.

Although you might feel like your twenty, your body will remind you that you're not.

Boy Uno, you said a mouthful there!!! I just turned 40, and a couple weeks ago I had the front end wash out on me as I was about to hit a little 3 foot drop off coming out of a turn, and as I was falling (...probably 2nd gear... maybe 15-20 mph) I was thinking "No big deal". Then I hit the ground square with my shoulder (didn't put my arms out... protect those wrists), and it rattled my bones like I was getting hit by a car! I got right up like it was no big deal cause I didn't want anyone to think I was a sissy, but the reality was it hurt like hell. I woke up the next morning and my ribs and shoulder were really sore, and it hurt to breathe!

Sadly, aging does take it's toll.

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ

If I felt like I was 20 I would already be in the hospital. Luckily my brain is fimly set on telling the rest of my body that I am 8 months from being 40 and to ride accordingly.

Now I just have to figure out how to trick it...

Gregg

Congrats on the new ride...............

Now come on out and Race with the boys at the Over The Hill Gang :cry:

Is there a slow, scared guys over 39 class?

Im in... Is that a club for smarter (older) MX guys?

OTHG does have a class for old scared guys! It's called 38 Beginner and it is a lot of fun. :cry:

I just found out that I am supposed to pick up a new RMZ450 tomorrow or Tuesday. Come on out and race with the Gang one of these weekends and we can have our own RMZ450 battle. I promise not to take you out! :cry:

By the way...I am new to this board so take it easy on the Newbie!

Take the jumps slow and steady. No need to show-off for the young ladies at the track. I race the 30+ novice and the 250 novice class. Let me tell you the novice class people will cut you off,T-bone you all for a plastic trophy and no $$.. Where the 30+ and 40+ classes are more adult riding type. I suck in the turns myself but can do all but one jump where my brain still tells me no :cry: .

Is there a slow, scared guys over 39 class?

Im in... Is that a club for smarter (older) MX guys?

Greg

Minimum age is 30. They have three age brackets with 5 classifications. Age Brackets, 30, 38 & 45. Class's Beg, Novice, Intermediate, Expert, Pro.

Very clean riding with no sandbagging............ :):)

Getting old does suck...On 80% of the track I still think I'm 20. But, when I get to the really BIG jumps reality kicks in and I am suddenly 48 again.

As for the RMZ450, I saw a young gun on one at the track last Thursday night and he was haul'n :) . The bike sounded potent and looked like it handled really well.

My CRF has been a great bike but I may have to try yellow in '06.

Apples and oranges. The WR is a good deal heavier than either CRF or RMZ and the suspension is a tad softer. The WR has an electric start, the MXers don't. Tight trails would favor the WR, Hare Scrambles and MX would favor the lighter bikes.

Hey Tex did the exact same thing last week, high sided a rut tossed me on my shoulder hurt for a bit then alright, I rode out the rest of the day{about 6 hours on a motorcross track} couldn't hardly walk the next day, Ribs still feel like I broke a few, and I still don't know how I injured them falling on my shoulder, How you been other than that Tex.