Sign in to follow this  

Turbocharging a 150

I've talked to my race car turbo supplier. He can get me a turbo. Only problem would be getting the carb to work. I think I could add a pressure reference port on the float bowl to accomplish that though. The motor is low enough compression it could tolerate it. If I ran alcohol, I wouldn't need an intercooler either. The header would be simple enough to adapt. The turbo has a built in wastegate control. The whole assembly could probably sit where the airbox goes too. You could keep boost to 5-7# and run premium gas or crank the boost and run methanol. You could retard the timing across the board which would be fine. That's a poorly kept secret anyway. You can get good spool with larger turbos by retarding the timing. Gets the still burning exhaust gas into the turbo. I don't do that on my race car but on a street car, it works very well.

Now that's thinking out of the box.

I believe there's a dirtbike company that sells turbo kits . It's a $4500 kit...not cheap. And the midhit that the turbos will have will work you to death. I can't imagine holding onto a bike when it gets on the boost for more than 4 or 5 minutes.

Ive been waiting for someone to do this.

I think it would be awesome. It would sound cool too.

The only draw back would be heat and weight.

DO IT! :cry:

turbo would be meanass, if u could make it work u would mor than triple the hp, alcohol, i think yes

Yammies 04 450 scared people so they had to tone it down.

Honda's 500 scared people and made them sell it at the nearest bike shop.

Gas Gas made a fuel injected 450 and changed the market.

But putting on a turbo would make people sh*t them selves...........I WANNA SEE IT!!!!! :cry::cry::cry:

I have been around turbos for many years and actually work for a company that used to manufacture them. A big problem will be the single cylinder exhaust pulse. Most anything that is turbo charged has at least 4 cylinders to supply the energy needed to spin the turbo effectively. I know this is why turbo charging Harley's is difficult. The odd fire and exhaust pressure is very uneven so that smooth and even Turbo speeds are difficult to obtain.

I'm not trying to say that it can't BE done, just that you will have a lot of work ahead of you.

Good luck !!

Well then a small electric blower might be the way to go. The 150 has the same frame as the 230 So he could could get rewound stator & put the 230's battery in there. A blower is more compact & doesn't have the heat problems either. It'd have to have some sensors to control the boost.

:cry:

The exhaust pulse wouldn't be too much of an obstacle if I increased the pipe diameter leading to the turbo. It would absorb a lot of the pressure & heat fluctuation. I'm not convinced that's a real big problem anyway. I'd be spinning the motor to 11K still. That's ~100 combustion events per second folks !!!

The plumbing wouldn't be that bad but the power curve could be similiar to but not as brutal as a 2 stroke. Turbos are smoooooth as they come on. A centrifugal blower (belt driven turbo) lags also but as a more direct result of RPM. You could change that by the drive / driven pulley size (not exactly off the shelf parts). A turbo offers the ease of wastegate tuning.

Don't get your hopes up for me building one though. BUT, if I was to do it, I'd probably put the intercooler where the radiator usually sits on a liquid cooled bike. That would look pretty neat.

All the turbo kits I've seen change the motor over to fuel injection. They don't alter spark timing (or offer it) with the ECU. I think you could do itbut you may have to pressure the whole carb (put it in a box) due to the air bleed screw. Outside of that, I think a simple pressure port to the fuel bowl would take care of it.

Did you mention to the turbo supplier that you are working with a 150cc (about 9ci) motor? Is there a turbo small enough to be spun with the very limited exhaust volumn?

The concept is good but are the parts available?

Ride on

Brewster