Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket footpegs. Do they really help or are they just for bling bling?

I was bummed that my '05 CRF450 didn't come w/ titanium pegs like the competition does so I was thinking about upgrading to a set of Fro titanium pegs. My question is, will these really make my riding experience better in any way or is it pure eye candy?

What is the REAL advantage of wider pegs?

Not sure if I can justify dropping 2 bones just to have cool looking pegs.

Not sure if I can justify dropping 2 bones just to have cool looking pegs.
Are you sure you're in the right forum???

:cry::cry: :cry::cry: :cry::lol:

I like my IMS Pro pegs, but have you seen the Power Pegs? You can get them for less than 2 bones. In fact, you can get them for 1.4 bones and spend the other 0.6 bones on a new rear tire.

https://www.powerpegz.com/products.cfm

By the way, incase anyone gets any smart peg ideas, I've got claims on the idea of using shock absorbing pegs and have been working on this idea for many years :cry:

Why drop any bones at all, what-up with the pegs that are on there :cry: If you want to drop some bones get a JD kit, better bang for your bones.:cry:

IMS Pros...I was thinking the same thing until I rode with the good pegs...makes a difference...

A word of caution though. A brand new set of IMS Pro Pegs will eat your boots for lunch. But you wont loose traction on them, thats for sure.

IMS Pros...I was thinking the same thing until I rode with the good pegs...makes a difference...

A word of caution though. A brand new set of IMS Pro Pegs will eat your boots for lunch. But you wont loose traction on them, thats for sure.

Could you be more specific? What kind of difference? My feet don't hurt when I land (everything else does though!) hard so I'm not to concerned about that.

PS I already have a JD jet kit.

PSS I don't know about rotating pegs

PSSS Maybe I should just save my $ for some proper suspension like I've recently desired.

PSSS Maybe I should just save my $ for some proper suspension like I've recently desired.

The only things you should spend bones on before suspension are gas, oil and filters. IMHO of course.

The only things you should spend bones on before suspension are gas, oil and filters. IMHO of course.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I ride desert and I am old....but the first things that I do to all of my bikes are:

rework suspension

wider foot pegs

Scotts Steering Dampener

CR-Hi Bars

ASV Levers

everything else can come in time as I get a feel for the bike, but the items above I find mandatory for my comfort

The only things you should spend bones on before suspension are gas, oil and filters. IMHO of course.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

You know, as a roadracer I always spent my $$ first on suspension, brakes, and tires. The difference was that I was a much faster pavement guy than dirt guy. I believe that I am slowly realizing that some good suspension might be appropriate as I try to get faster at this whole dirt thing.

The difference is the planted feel you have on the bike. Its noticable for sure.

I didnt think much about aftermarket pegs either till I test rode a buddy's bike trying to figure out his suspension. I noticed the pegs more than his suspension...

Disclosure...

Ive never bought a set of pegs myself. They were always a gift for whatever reason. :cry:

I think pegs are a very subjective add on...I personally don't care about spending money on aftermarket pegs. The stock honda ones are great. I have ridden the F3's and really, truly, can't feel much difference. Both grip well for me. I sharpen my stockers after a few months when they get worn, but honestly, by the time I would wear them out it's time for a new bike....

:cry: lots of controversy. heres my two cents. The stock honda foot pegs suck. I slipped of them numerous times in the first few rides, and that was good weather, not mud. I tried a freinds with fastway pegs and thought they were worse than stock but they look cool. I bought IMS pro series, and ride with way more confidence in places like whoops and rough sections that cause your feet to bounce around. I grip so hard with my knees I get rash after a day of racing, but the stock pegs still suck.

As far as suspension goes, unless you are riding at pro level, or need to adjust for your weight, the stock suspension is good up to about 200lbs. I weigh 170, stock clicker settings suck also, I spent a full day on the roughest track I could find of doing nothing put on click at a time and test. I rode 4 other crfs (05) with revalved suspension, and the best was from LTR suspension. I tried Moto Pro, Pro Circuit RG3, and LTR. I think LTR is the cheapest www.lt-racing.com but I won't waste my money on that either.

the IMS pegs were the best bucks I have spent on the bike. I can stay on board.

upgrading to a set of Fro titanium pegs.

Where did you find the Fro pegs for sale.On the internet?

i had no problems with the stock pegs until about 3 months ago i cased a landing and sprained both ankles ,after that i got the ims pros . half inch wider makes all the differance in the world :cry:

I bought IMS pro series, and ride with way more confidence in places like whoops and rough sections that cause your feet to bounce around. I grip so hard with my knees I get rash after a day of racing, but the stock pegs still suck.

As far as suspension goes, unless you are riding at pro level, or need to adjust for your weight, the stock suspension is good up to about 200lbs.

I too grip hard with my knees, the damn insides of them are scarred from all of the rashes I have had there. I even have to take an old motocross sock, cut off the top and bottom, and make a tube that goes around that area to help stop the chafe. I guess my big size 12 butt kickers grab the stock pegs just fine, or maybe my 200lb a55 puts enough down force....:cry:

The stock suspension for my speed, a local vet expert, is not good enough. bottom, bottom, bottom. Especially in the deep sand whoops. It all depends on your needs but there is absolutely no such thing as an absolute when it comes to suspension setup. Suspension that is "just right" for a 170lb rider is NOT going to be "just right" for the same guy if he weighed 200lbs, going the same speed on the same track. The faster a rider goes, the more critical proper suspension setup for him/her is. Sure, a 175lb beginner and a 175lb novice could get away with the same suspension.

Just my .02

the ti pegs are great for a few different reasons. they are lighter,wider,and will hold up alot better then other metals.i have ims pro pegs on my cr 250 and they are alot better than the stock ones,however they are showing alot of wear already and need to be sharpened.im getting the lightspeed ti pegs for my crf for the simple fact that i want the bike to be as light as possible. i can also tell you that proper suspension setup for your wieght and riding style makes a world of difference.i spent 800 bucks on suspension and it was well worth it.alot of people are going to have opinions and use there bikes differently too.