VOR FCR carb upgrade...???...

A 2002 VOR 530 EN with Dellorto 38 carb........Im wanting to put on a 41mm FCR carb....

Ive looked at the 2002 and 2003/4 VOR manuals.....

As far as I can tell; This is what Ill need:....the FCR VOR fuel cell/gas tank, the FCR carb, throttle cables and twist grip....a FCR VOR intake boot and clamp on the intake/head side of the carb.....

The air boxes are the same as best I can tell.....

Am I missing anything here....Do I need a different boot from carb to airbox or anything else????....

Who out there has put a FCR on a 2002 VOR with Dellorto, knows the drill???....

Any assist is welcomed....I have already got a line on the tank, carb, cables and throttle....but I want to know what else to get from my VOR dealer ahead of time so I can make it a smooth transaction for everyone...

Thanks again...

P.S....for those who have asked;

In Colorado there is was a VOR dealer called Funwheels....the shop is now owned and run as a repair shop...and they still service VORs even though they are no longer a dealer....

also.... DAN from MOTOEXOTICA has been a great help to me...and I plan to do a lot of my Exotic dirtbike business through him.....I cant recommend him highly enough....a truely great guy to work with...

Thanks for any assist...? :cry: ?

Are you putting on a FCR that has a choke? If so you will have to rework the water outlet on the head. I put a FCR 41 on my 2002 530 modified my own tank (cut off the hump on the bottom of the tank and plastic welded a flat patch in place, could I ask how much a tank is going to cost you?) if a carb with a choke is used you will have to make a coolant fitting that comes out of the head and turns 90 tight to the head. To really optimize the 41mm carb. you will want to open up the diameter of the intake manifold to match the carb and blend the manifold to the port there is a sizable step that usually doesn't match up to well on the VOR's between the head and the manifold. The boot between the carb and the airbox will work fine.You may want to remove the forward engine mount bolts to allow the engine to roll forward in the frame to assist in actually getting the carb in place........ IT IS A TIGHT FIT...... if the carb you get has the plastic cover over the slide pulley you may need to clearance it a little (read as grind). These are the things I remember..... well worth the effort when all is said and done.

Dean

I have done FCR carb upgrades on both one of my KTMs and Vertemati(s).....The majority of tuners I have talked to believe the FCR is the state of the art carb for a modern 4/S......KTM has gone to the FCR carb, so has VOR...and the Vertemati race teams also....( my they RIP.).

Granted the Dellorto is a good carb....but only a few people Ive communicated with believe its better than the FCR....even Ron Woods, the great 4/s engine and specialty builder, who has always liked and used the Dellorto on his stuff, is using a 42mm pumper carb ( Mikuni ) on his most recent projects ( eg; YZ 450/500 67hp flat trackers)...

I have 6 bikes that have Dellorto(s) and a few with FCRs.....I like the FCR better myself....

Now, I have talked to some Enduro and trail riders that like the Dellorto just fine, and one shop that likes it better than the FCR....

So, like so many other things....it comes down to a personal choice...

One thing I so think is certain....the FCR is a much more high tech carb compaired to the Dellorto, which is more primal/fundamental in its design....this then may well be a good and/or bad thing, depending on how you look at it...

The Dellorto is easier to tune, and more reliable, and requires less maintainence....but the FCR is more tunable, and gives the ultimate 4/s performance options.....but this is my opinion, gathered by my own personal experience, reading, and communications.....

The Mikuni pumper carb is also right in there, I have one on a few bikes ( other Mikunis also on other rides)....I also have a PSI performance Billet carb on a 2/s bike...and it is the ultimate for a smoker engine in my opinion...

So....I will go the FCR on this bike....and see what happens...

Part of the "problem" ( or, maybe its not a problem at all), is that I, like to modify, at least some of the bikes I tend to ride ....as part of the fun of the whole M/C experience. Just like I do with some of my 4 wheeled vehicles....and then at least some of my "toys" a keep stock as collectors items...

thanks for the input, and the dialog... ??

Good points. I will say that it is amazing that a Dellorto works as well as it does considering that it looks like it was hammered out of a chunk of metal like the chopper guys do with their gas tanks. It certainly isn't very hi-tech.

There were 2 major reasons for my going to the FCR;

1st and formost is that the Dellorto carb is basically designed for 2 stroke application, anyone that has ever tried to dial one in on a 4 stroke so that there isn't a big flat spot(lean spot) right off idle realizes that the off idle metering leave's a little to be desired. Most people don't realize that this is what causes the light switch type behavior coming right off idle, not a big deal on a 2 str. which essentially has no bottom end torque, but on a VOR 530 bottom end torque is one of its forte's and the ability to roll it on without it exploding to life and sending you into the tree's on moss covered rocks is paramount (my right wrist used to get cramped from trying to keep a consistant throttle bouncing thru the rocks before my left hand/forearm was shot from feathering the clutch). The FCR has much more linear power delivery than the Dellorto ever thought about, if you don't ride in tight facial clay woods or margarine covered rocks and do most of your riding on open fire trails, open desert/sand I think that the Dellorto properly jetted works great.

Which leads me to my #2 reason:

I would not believe this if I hadn't experienced it myself, now I had my Dellorto jetted as lean as I was comfortable with. The VOR has about 2.2gal of fuel, in mixed riding conditions 60 miles was pushing it and more than likely already on reserve for 5 miles........... After changing to the FCR I did Hancock DS last year and had over 80 miles on a tank and had not yet gone to reserve, I think that I figured later at the pump that I had gotten almost 45 mpg and I know that I'm running richer than I need to be... (I'm at sea level folk's)

I don't know that I would spend the money for the mod. ( it's not cheap) if I did a different kind of riding, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results after I did.

Dean