Sign in to follow this  

Making a d/s in Iowa

Has anyone ever convert a dirt bike to dual sport in Iowa, it appears the dot has forms to try, but wondering if anyone has sucessfully. I know you can get plates for KTM's but I don't want one of them, or guess I can't affort one.

thanks

David

I don't know what county you are in, but I have talked to people in southwest Iowa, and none of them could get anywhere close. If it isn't DOT legal from the manufacturer, it won't get through. I talked to a few dealers, and they said they have had customers try it, because they had "connections" that took a loss on their bike when they traded it back in for a dual-sport bike.

The only one I have heard of working, was a man who sold his bike to his brother in Colorado, and had is brother get it licenced as street legal, and then brought it back to Nebraska and got it licensed. Of course this is Nebraska and not Iowa, but it might be an option.

Licensed my YZ-F -250 two different years ( 2000 and 2001 ) in

Vermont via mail then took it down to the courthouse and transfered

the title / registration they sent me into Iowa. Cost's 35.00 for vermont title

and all they want is proof that taxes were paid on the bike ........... no inspection needed.

Woods_weapon_2

Wr200man,

Do a search in this forum under the keyword " Vermont" and it will pull

up another topic with a website and everything. This is a very popular way of licensing your bike for Enduro's and Dual sport rides.

Woods_weapon_2

Yup, gotta bring it in already tagged from another state.:cry: Baja9928 has done it.

thats the way it USED to be. I did this a couple times about 3 years ago.

in the past 6 months, I've attempted this with a licensed/converted/titled KTM, Husky, and a Husaberg, all were no go.

apparently there is a new system in place that catchs the vin number one the only way that you can get one through is to have it inspected where they look for the tag on the neck that says something like "this vehicle conforms to all US DOT regulations/requirments, yadda, yadda, yadda"

I've went round and round with them on this for the past year about converted bikes without any luck.

Also, last I heard was Vermont is no longer an option for us. I did this on an 01 DRZ400e and would love to be able to do it again

if anyone has recently done this, please let me know!!!

:cry:

In July of last year I bought a KDX200 from a guy in Illinois that had it licensed. I didn't think I could license it here because the girls in my county courthouse are a real pain in the ass to deal with, they look for anything to make your life difficult. I would rather pull my fingernails out with pliers and ram them in my eyes rather than deal with these people. Anyway, I brought it in and they gave me the license with no questions asked. I couldn't believe it. Hell it took 3 trips up there just to get a green sticker for my YZ. I even renewed the license last month again with no problems. Of course, maybe I just missed the new system.

you know, that doesn't surprise me.

I wonder if its a deal where maybe they've done one before so that models VIN is in the system.

A few months after I was turned down on two different bikes, a friend of mine in the next county walked a 250SX right through without any question.

I asked if it varied county-to-county and was told that they use a state wide system and that the county had no bearing in it.

i also tried to register it in the next county over claiming it was too difficult for me to get to our DMV but I drive right past the other county office every day on the way to work. No luck there either, I was told you have to do it in your home county

Bastages anyway

:cry:

If Vermont is still a possiblity, I will give it a go and see if it works here...Why could'nt you just run Vermont plates and claim that you have a vacation home there or something??? I don't think there is any law that says you have to reide in the state that you are running plates on your vehicle. I have a friend that gets his Suburban plates in Wisconsin because they are only $35 there and over $600 here in Iowa.

We should take every opportunity to thumb our noses at the unjust rules of society, they don't call us the Bluff Creek Criminals for nothing...Right?? :cry: