Sign in to follow this  

Best oil to run for a WR 250f

I just bought a 2002 WR 250F from a friend. The bike is going through transformation to more of a MXer. He was running mobil oil in it. is there a better oil that wont hurt the clutches.

I have been running Wesson for the last few changes, it holds up good and you can not beat the french fry smell.:cry:

Later,

I just bought a 2002 WR 250F from a friend. The bike is going through transformation to more of a MXer. He was running mobil oil in it. is there a better oil that wont hurt the clutches.
tommy,

the sarcasm above is due to the fact that this topic comes up at least once a week on TT, and those threads can get pretty interesting. suffice to say that there are a variety of opinions on what is the "best" oil, and to that end i would say that there are a number of "best" oils suitable for your WRF. much information on this subject can be garnered via TT's search function and via the yamaha 250F FAQ that we have put together. www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm

finally, my recommdations would be Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W50 RED CAP (and *only* that flavor of Mobil 1 for reasons you'll learn about in your search) and/or Shell Rotella T Sythetic 5W40. both are widely available (e.g. Walmart) at a reasonable price.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f (>4000 trail miles on mobil1 15w50 red cap)

Motorex + your bike will shift really nice

When my friend go his new 25f he used yamalube for the first few rides then switched to the motorex and says is shifts better than with the yamalube.

All others please disregard this comment.

Jim,

Rottella T Synthetic......Have you lost your MIND?!?!?!?!?

I have to agree with WROOSTER, the only oil I have ever used is Mobil 1 red cap and never had an ounce of trouble with my 02 wr250 which has been YZ spec'd and I race MX with it. Having said this I recently discovered that Mobil 1 red cap is no longer produced or should I say Mobil have re-labelled and gone to a different style bottle with a grey cap. I don't think there is any difference in the product. I am from Australia and a recent post on TT from one of the guy's in the US mentions the same deal over there.

Go with Mobil 1 15w50. :cry::cry::cry: