Hey wrenches!

Did you guys really go out and buy all the tools yamaha requires/requests to do a top end/vales?

Examples:

Valve spring compressor

Valve guide removers for intake and exhaust

Valve guide installer for intake and exhaust

Head warp guage...

Just a few.

I need to freshen my top end for the first time on my 01 yz.

What do you recommend I do.

Thanks for the response.

Send it to a good machine shop that all ready has all these tools. Or buy the tools which would probably cost more than sending it out. :cry:

Dude thats what I'm thinkin. I'd like to do it myself but, i figure I can roll the bike in or walk the bike in holding a box full of parts..

I'll just fork over the cash.:cry:

It's unlikely you'll EVER wear out a valve guide on the YZF so don't worry about those tools, all you need to check head warpage is a straightedge from Sears and a feeler guage. The spring compressor is worth the money and makes changing the valves springs a simple job. You don't have to buy the compressor from Yamaha though, there are plenty of aftermarket versions that are cheaper but the same basic design.

I made up a spring compressor from a 13mm deepwell socket and mount it in the drill press. With a dial indicator you can even check for coil bind...total cost...$0(worn out socket).

I made up a spring compressor from a 13mm deepwell socket and mount it in the drill press. With a dial indicator you can even check for coil bind...total cost...$0(worn out socket).

Satisfaction of beating Yamaha out of the price of a compressor PRICELESS :cry:

I did that but it costs me 30 bucks with the addition of a craftsman valve spring compressor. :cry: yamaha tools.

I already had a compact valve spring compressor, but it wouldn't reach into the spring wells of the YZF head. So, I made two adapters, one for the intake and one for the exhaust, out of PVC pipe, turned them to fit into the tappet bores, and cut open one side for access to the keepers. Looks like (bad stuff), works good.

Did you guys really go out and buy all the tools yamaha requires/requests to do a top end/vales?

yes, just because i love yamaha to the core and act as their bitch. i do what they say, because they are gods.

yes, just because i love yamaha to the core and act as their bitch. i do what they say, because they are gods.

*sigh Lovit when the kiddies put their worthless 2 cents in. :cry::cry: