Sign in to follow this  

Which year CRF450?

I own and XR400 and it's great for desert trail riding, but kind of bulky to rip around on so I'm thinking of replacing it with a CRF 450, or just buying one and seeing how long before the wife notices I have 2 bikes. In any case, I'll be buying it used, either 2002 or 2003 and I'm wondering what the differences are between the two, or if there are any huge benefits to going up to an 04 for the extra $$.

Any advice appreciated.

Mike

Depends on what model you want. If Honda, I would say go with the 03 or the 05. The 05 would be my choice becasue they feel and handle like a 250. I know from experience becasue I own one!

The 03 (previous bike), IMHO has the best realibility. My 03 had many hours and miles on it and I had no problems. You treat the bike well with maintenance and the bike will treat you well. :cry: Avoid the 04 becasue I know of folks who had probems with motors blowing becasue of valves.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheerio,

unoracing.

How about the 02? Any differences between that and the 03 worth noting?

the 02's were the worst of the bunch mainly because they were a first year bike. plus alomost any 02 you find is going to have lots of hours and be beaten to death. i would say get a 03 or a 05. maybe if your lucky you could find a slightly used 05 :cry:

I have found some lightly used 02s in my area and the price is definitely attractive (Just under 4K). But if they are unreliable I don't want that.

Also, is it my eyes, or is the 2002 CRF a little pinkish in color?? They definitely darkened the red in 03.

I doubt if they changed the plastic color. Its either aftermarket plastic or sun baked plastic.