02 YZ250f, no neutral when running

Does anyone out there have or had a problem getting into neutral while engine running and clutch pulled in, on a 02 YZ250F. I heard of a washer fix put on the bolts that hold the clutch springs. Is their anyone that has resolve this problem with the YF250F.

thanks for your time and response

Silverstreak

i doubt the washer mod (see www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm) is going to help.

but you haven't told us the whole story...

did it always have this problem or did it just start?

when was the clutch last replaced?

do you ride MX and do big jumps?

did you crash and then the problem cropped up?

does it EVER go into neutral or you just can't get there?

does it only happen when you are riding with your boots on?

do all of the other gears engage properly and consistently?

what happens when you try for neutral? grinding? no noise?

ps:

i have a feeling that your shift fork is bent or your shift star wheel is a little hosed up. you may want to check out the following info but note that it is the *opposite* problem that you have. but nevertheless it will give you some background on the shift star wheel and how it functions:

http://thumperfaq.com/clutch_mods.htm#Star

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Wrooster,

No the clutch has not been replaced, it can be put into neutral easy when engine is completely off, Yes it has always been hard to get into neutral from day one while engine is running, if played with long enough I can get it into neutral when running.No it dosen't grind it just won't move half way between 1st and 2nd easy, it wants to always click full clicks between both gears.Thanks for the clutch sites I've seen them before and just wondered if any one has had this problem and how did they achieved there fix to a hard to find neutral.This used to be my sons bike and I took it over and he got 04 YZ250F.

Silverstreak

It is possible that your clutch is grooving and not allowing the plates to seperate. You probably are seeing some clutch drag. You said that it has been like this from day one, does that mean from new? If so its possible that your clutch may be adjusted to release early not allowing good clutch seperation when the clutch is pulled in. I set mine up this way for early engaement. All bikes will experiance some degree of clutch drag, especially when cold or if the bike has been sitting for a while. This clutch drag puts pressure on the gear trane and makes it difficult to get between gears as the pressure makes the coggs jump from one gear into the next, ie first to second. When the motor is off there is no pressure on the gear train allowing the nuetral position to be found easily. The best way to resolve the problem is to reduce clutch drag. Posible ways to reduce this drag are as follow: adjust the clutch for earlier disengagement, lighter viscosity oil, lower idle speed, make sure clutch basket is smooth and not notched, make sure the metal plates between the fiber discs are not slightly warped from heat distortion. If this is the original clutch than a fresh set of fiber plates and steel plates would not hurt. Yamaha's have been known for clutch drag.

Good luck

Thanks mnmbb01 for info,

yes this problem has been from new. It makes sense about the plates

dragging and I was thinking about doing the clutch plates any ways. But the thread about the 79 cents fix , which included 5- 6mm washers put on the clutch spring bolts would increase the clutch plate cavity,because the length of the springs were unable extend to full length. Which seems to me it would release some drag on the plates, kinda like what you are talking about.

• 6 months later...

this is an old thread - but I was curious to know if the .79 cent fix worked.

or anyone for that matter - will is solve my 05 yz250f problem? i've heard that with just little clutch wear that my problem will fade...

im not too much of a bike mechanic so I am leery of jacking with the clutch. i don't want to jack my new bike up! :D