Sign in to follow this  

For all you old DS80 riders

Purchase a 1985 model for my son....first bike. Runs OK. Any suggestions on slow throttle response, hard to pull clutch, and BLOWING bulbs in the little taillight and headligh. Has been fun for him and me. Would like to make it look new again. Thanks,

I am not familiar with this model, however slow throttle response is going to be pretty standard on any carb.

have you checked the basics

correct fuel, fresh fuel.

my next guess would be proper jetting, an old bike like that must have had somebody tweak this and that over the years, problem is not every one who tweaks bikes has the expertise of say burned or bronco and can often do as much harm as good.

If jetting is ok is the carb clean and not full of bits of crap from 20 yrs of going through the dirty stuff. How is the plug, see if that is the right type of plug and also it is in good condition with a good connection.

Sorry i am not telling you what the exact problem is, but on the patchy info you gave it is difficult to make a good diagnosis on the problem

Go check all those basic things and come back with what you have done and what is still the problem, give as much info as you can:thumbsup:

Buy a service manual.

Clean the air filter.

Clean the spark arrestor.

Check the piston and rings.

Lube the clutch perch and cable.

Follow the ground wires back and make sure the connections are clean on the frame.

Have fun! :cry:

Thanks for the reply. I cleaned all the electrial componants and it appears there is a good ground. I'm wondering about the light magneto...is it possible that has gone bad and is sending way to may volts???

The clutch seems a little better after a good cable lub.

Any suggestions on a carb kit for this year model.

Thanks again for you feed back.

I'd suggest just taking the carb apart and cleaning it fully with carb cleaner. Then jetting it to get her running right. I believe somebody makes a pipe for the newer ds80 replacement that would bolt onto a ds80 but thats reaaaaly not worth the cash.

i had a ds80 when i was younger and i told my dad it wasnt running right and he didnt believe me then on day it would carry its own weight he got all mad at me and said i blew it up and all it turned out all that was wrong with it was the baffles in the silence were plugged up

I have an 01, had it since new. GREAT bike its what got me hooked on suzuki because in the last 8 years i've put oil in it and fuel.. and shamed to say thats all... lol.

Headgasket seams to leak on mine, carb needs a rebuild and a clean pretty bad Clutch needs to be replaced clutch cable is stretched. Brake cables are stretched and pads are shot, rear wheel adjusters are seized/broken. sprockets are worn right down to nothing, chain is stretched huge. But after 8 years of abuse and only needing those regular maintenance items.... yea no biggy i'll spend the money and do it again. I still ride it for giggles every now and then, spring out back is weak but its still got the jam to lug me around. And its a great learner bike for the youngins (my nephew is 2... when he's 4 im hoping to get him on it hahaha)

I'm guessing your lamp housings either have water/corrosion in them or your stator/regulator is shot and needs replacing.

If your serious about rebuilding it to new quality take it all apart and replace all the gaskets the clutch, all the cables. Clean and relube everything. And wiring will probably have to be repaired/replaced. In all reality if its dirt only then drop the lamps front and back just one more item to fail on it one day and cause you grief.

But in the end its probably worth it because you'll get another 20 years outta that bike with little to no troubles.