Sign in to follow this  

Putting master link on DID O Ring

I know this may sound really dumb but i'm having a lot of trouble putting on the master link on my chain. I put the first part on then I can't get the link on before putting on the clip. I tryed squeezing it on with vise grips and everything and it wont go on. How do you guys put your master link on your DID O Ring chain? I need to get this damn master link on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks P.S. Need help ASAP!

Those masterlinks can really be a pain in the a$$.Is it an o-ring, X-ring or just a non o-ring? I bought a mini masterlink press from MOTION PRO TOOLS. It queezes the masterlink plate on, then I put the clip on. I also know that you must use the same brand masterlink as the chain on some chains, becase some are wider than others. I used to use a C-clamp with a washer around the pin. If you do this method, squeeze down a little at a time going from pin to pin till you seat it enough to get the clip on. The washer is used so the pin will be able to come through the plate (place it under the head of the clamp). Hope this helps:thumbsup:

I get a nut that's big enough to fit over the pin. put the nut over the hole on the side plate and with your vise grips clamp down a little over each pin to work it on evenly.

Do that until the clip indentations are clear and install clip. I took a pair of pliers and ground down one side to make that job easier.

:cry:

:cry: ok..this is a two man job..line up you master-link at the 12:00 position .the other person will put something solid in behind the chain like a larger hammer.put the links together..not the clip of course yet..i use a screwdriver with a 8 mil socket end and i tap evenly on the link until it is seated firmly enuf for the master link..i've tried the vise grip routine as well and learned a few new words with that technique..hammer and driver works every time perfectly:thumbsup:

Even easier, Sunruh turned me on to putting a small 8 or 6mm socket over the pins, and using channel locks going back and forth between the two pins till it's on far enough for the clip.

Works like a charm. :cry:

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ (for sale)

I ground one side of a big pair of vise grips to clear the pins and left the other side alone to cover both pins. It works pretty well.

I use a small round chainsaw file from Sears. File out the holes on the link a very very small amount. You may have to do this three or four times to get the right fit. Then use your vice grips to get the plate on. It will hold in place long enough for you to get the spring link/clip on.

LOL!!!! I'm breakin a sweat just reading this thread. I use a DID ERT Gold chain...whew!!:cry:

Got it on reallyyy easy, used big channel locks and about a 10 mm wrench and just pressed one side then went to other side and did the same, took about 3 mins to put on lol.

Thanks anyways guys!

If you have a press on plate take a female link which you can get from the old chain if they are the same type as the new one and use it in conjunction with a C clamp to press the side plate on. If it is not a press on plate used with a O ring chain, and the O ring will not let the side plate seat because of the spring action of the O ring then you must use a small C clamp with the screw head removed to hold the side plate in place while you install the clip. Filling the holes lager on a press on plate defeats the design of the plate, and weakens the master link.

LOL!!!! I'm breakin a sweat just reading this thread. I use a DID ERT Gold chain...whew!!:cry:

Exactly what is so funny about having a GOOD press fit? A buddy had his masterlink come apart last summer, and when the chain tossed, it split his cases. :cry: A pressed on sideplate will not come apart if the spring clip falls off.

I've been using the Moose O-ringers, and I use a center punch to make a press fit. :cry: