Sign in to follow this  

Where's my oil going?

Hey guys, I went out to the garage today and just for the hell of it, I pulled the dipstick on my '02 YZ250f, and there wasn't any oil on it. I know it was full when I put it away a month ago. I've drained the gas out, so I know it hasn't run since then. There aren't any leaks either. Any ideas?:cry:

So, this your first dry sump motorcycle, eh? Most bikes built outside of England and the U.S. are wet sump, like a car engine. The oil goes in the engine, where the oil pump picks it up and sends it to all the important lube points. Then it drains back to the engine, to the sump, specifically, where it was, and starts all over.

Yours is more complicated than that, and more sophisticated IMO. Yours is a dry sump system, meaning that the oil supply is carried outside of the engine in a separate tank, in this case, the frame. From there one of two oil pumps in the engine draws it in through an external line and sends it to all the important lube points, just like in the wet sump. Then it drains back to the bottom of the engine, where instead of sitting there, it is picked up by a second, larger pump, and sent back to the tank. The second pump is larger sothat it will always be able to outrun the feed pump, and send all of the drained oil back as fast as possible, keeping the sump "dry".

It's a better system for a couple of good reasons, but one thing that can happen is just what you ran into. The oil runs down into the sump when you leave them idle for a long enough time. They have a check ball to prevent this, and it works well enough that if you rode your bike every other day or so, you would not see too much oil draining to the sump. But the ball is downstream from the oil pump, and the oil pump is not sealed. So it leaks past the pump slowly, and after a few days, most of it is in the bottom.

So, do two things. First, remember not to rev the crap out of your bike for at least the first 15 seconds when starting it after it's been sitting (which is never a good idea, anyway), and make a habit out of checking the oil when you're done riding. That way, you won't have to wonder whether there's any oil in it when you start it next time. :cry:

Are you sure that you are checking the oil from the frame and not the filler openning on the case? If it were me, boy would I feel dumb!!!

Are you sure that you are checking the oil from the frame and not the filler openning on the case? If it were me, boy would I feel dumb!!!

or would *you* feel even dumber yet 'cause the '02 YZF

doesn't have a filler opening on the case? :cry:

oops.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Jesus, thanx for the help, I think. I didn't recieve an owners manual when I bought the bike and it is my first four stroke. You guys sure know how to make a guy feel stupid for asking a simple question. I'm sorry if I wasted your time or something. I'm also sorry for caring enough about my bike to ask questions before starting it when I'm not sure if there's oil in it. Next time I won't waste my time. :cry:

I didn't recieve an owners manual when I bought the bike and it is my first four stroke.:

you can download an "official" '03 PDF manual here:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oemmanuals.htm

while you have an '02, 99.9% of the info is the same.

lots more tidbits on your new bike can be learned about here:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Jesus, thanx for the help, I think. I didn't recieve an owners manual when I bought the bike and it is my first four stroke. You guys sure know how to make a guy feel stupid for asking a simple question. I'm sorry if I wasted your time or something. I'm also sorry for caring enough about my bike to ask questions before starting it when I'm not sure if there's oil in it. Next time I won't waste my time.

Dale525,

Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question. This is how we all learn, and I'm willing to bet we have all been there. Keep asking, there are many here who are willing to help (like wrooster), but sometimes the self-proclaimed internet experts, who have all the answers, like to exercise their sarcasm a bit. Anonymity seems to make people brighter than they really are.

Anonymity seems to make people brighter than they really are

aint that the truth :cry:

people act like experts when all they know is what they read in the mags

Jesus, thanx for the help, I think. I didn't recieve an owners manual when I bought the bike and it is my first four stroke. You guys sure know how to make a guy feel stupid for asking a simple question. I'm sorry if I wasted your time or something. I'm also sorry for caring enough about my bike to ask questions before starting it when I'm not sure if there's oil in it. Next time I won't waste my time. :cry:

DUDE............ I'm not sure why you got all the condescending and rude remarks, but I assure you things aren't usually that way here on thumpertalk. At most, people talk about how many times a question has been asked before (such as what kind of oil to use or what pipe is best) or point you to the "search" feature. The thing that has always puzzled me about those that reply bitching and moaning about how many times something has been asked is that, as far as I know, nobody is MAKING them read the post, much less REPLY.:cry: The other thing is, while a question may be redundant, that doesn't ALWAYS mean the answer is................while generally, the answers may be the same, there are things that change (with regards to oils, pipes, etc.)

And, as somebody already mentioned, there is NO dumb question. Don't let a couple of di**heads make you feel like you can't come here and ask anything that you want to know about your bike. There are some people here that will even take the time to go above and beyond answering your question, such as Grayracer513's :cry: reply. Just ignore the others!

Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Nahh... there's two kinds.

The one that isn't asked.

The one that is asked twice.

You think that was bad? Ha! wait until I decide to make you feel stupid, I am a real yz250f expert. I'll make you whimper before I get done. :cry:

you gotta just brush off the remarks and get what you need from the ones offering the real help. :cry: