Sign in to follow this  

Any way to replace rivets with bolts on silencer?

Is there any way to replace the rivets on my stock exhaust with bolts so I don't always have to drill and rerivet every month when I repack the silencer?

Sure is! Do you know anyone who is an aircraft mechanic? If you do, ask them to get you some nut plates. They are basically nuts that are attached to a small plate that you can rivet on to the inside of the end caps. Tell them to get the floating type nut plates, that way, the nut has some play just in case the hole doesn't line up perfectly. the nut is basically held it place while you put the end cap and baffle together. Then all you do is screw it back together. Make sure they get you short screws that match the diameter and thread pitch. I've been in and around aircraft industry all my life, so I'm not sure how many of you guys know people that do that kind of work. I'm laid off right now ( one of the drawbacks of the airline industry) or I'd get them for you myself. I don't know if any on else uses this type of nut. There are clip type nuts out there, but I don't think they would work really well in this type of aplication.Don't forget to use red rtv when putting the end caps back together. :cry:

Another idea is to have someone weld some nuts to the inside of your end cap and baffle end cap. They need to be lined up perfectly though to work, since they won't be able to move side to side like a floating type nut plate.

A less "trick" way would be to use automotive cage nuts. These are generally a nut welded to a small metal spring clip that is slid over the edge of a piece of metal to hold the nut over the hole. One advantage is that they can be slid around a little from the outside to line them up if needed. Another is they're cheap and easily used. Downside is they can be prone to breaking free of their clip if they get stuck, so assemble them withy a little anti-sieze, and don't make the bolts too long, so as to minimize their exposure to exhaust deposits.

Take your silencer with you to the hardware store. Tell them you need a couple of short sheet metal screws, socket head cap screws if they have them. I did it on my 99 RM250 and it worked like a charm. If you want to try the spring nut idea, head for your local auto body paint and supply store instead. :cry:

Good Quality stainless sheet metal screws with hex heads work great.

Is there any way to replace the rivets on my stock exhaust with bolts so I don't always have to drill and rerivet every month when I repack the silencer?

Just curious, do you really need to repack the silencer every month? :cry:

My bike is almost a year old, I mainly only trail ride but i have never needed to repack the silencer yet, it is still like new.

Definitely. You should repack it. Packing is only like $10. Just do it and see the hole burnt through your packing yourself and you'll understand why. It's fairly easy to just drill out the rivets, replace the packing, and put new rivets in but if your gonna do it every month like for someone who rides as often as me then it sucks to screw up the holes every time you drill them a little wider or a little crooked. Just do it every once in a while til you get an idea of how long you can go before your packing is worn out. It does make the bike quieter and gives it more power.

Sheet metal screws would be easy but will they really hold it together?

I wouldn't use sheet metal screws, after afew times of replacing them they wont hold as strong and eventually will come out.I like the idea of welding a nut on the inside but that would be a little difficult to get in there with the welder.

Thread-sert kits are available from home depot or ace and come in aluminum or stainless. They have a tool that crimps the Thread-sert right to the inside of the silencer (like a pop rivet tool) Button head screws are stainless and won't catch your pants and rip them. My kit cost about $22.00. :cry:

P.S. Kits can also be found at grainger.com.

What's a rivetnut and where can I get some?

Or threadserts, as MudPa called them. Check J.C. Whitney. (jcw.com)

nutcerts, no special tool is needed, just use a screw and a coupler nut to install them. coupler nut is either bigger then the screw or drilled out to be used as a spacer. incert nutcert, slip screw over coulper, then screw the screw into the nutcert. hold coulper with wrench, tighten screw, this will expand nutcert and lock it into hole, much like a rivet. they come in aluminum, SS & steel, aluminum easiest to install, (softer)