Sign in to follow this  

what are the best hardpack tires?

What would be the best tires for hardpack, (Club Moto)? I Don't care about price, The only thing that matters is performance. What size tires work best for performance and traction on an MX track?

I just put Dunlap D739's on my crf450r. Seem to be working well. Are designated for 'intermediate/hard'. Of course, things are pretty soft right now in SoCal.

I love my D739's (D- Desert)

I use them for Off-road more than track.

IMO a great all-around tire. :cry:

My bike came with 756's for soft terrain and they

had me wondering every where. Hated it.

I'm sure some will disagree but that's ok.

G

really i dont think it does not matter i have hard/ inter tire on my bike and i ride in the sand in florida. I do just fine coming in 3 in C class soo

i run 739 in the back and its good enough to replace with with another when i'm through with it.

The guy's at "I Moto" think Club Moto is hard terrain...

What tire do you reccomend for the soft terrain?

I ride club moto probably twice a month and most guys run 756 and 756rr's fronts out there. In the summer it definitely gets hard packed in spots and the front 756rr seems to work the best, rockymountainmc.com has the best prices I have found so far. My bike came with the 742 front and I put a kenda milleville on the rear once I wore the 756 out (3 rides) so far I really like the combo. Once it dries out we'll see how the 742 does, I might go back to the 756rr. In the rear I usually stay away from dunlops because I don't get much life out of them for some reason, some people love them. I usually run a Maxxis IT rear in the summer.

Club Moto is Livermore? I've ridden Livermore (years ago). NorCal guys don't know what hard pack is! :)

Lake Elsinore in October is hardpack. Water just stands on top until the sun evaporates it. Ride the blue groove...

I have a set of the Dunlop 739s on my bike now and they work pretty decently. I took off a set of worn out Bridgestone M22 and M23 tires and put on the Dunlops. My next set of tires will be the Bridgestone M22 and M23 again. For me I think they stick better and last longer. (just my humble opinion and maybe I'm just used to them) My 739 up front lets go all at once sometimes freaking me out. I can't remember the M22 doing that all at once, but it seemed to "warn" me first and not let go all at once.

Club Moto last week was soft loam. I am sure the Imoto shop down the street wouldnt think it is hardpack.

Saddlebackagain,

trust us, us Norcal guys who ride at Carnegie know what hardpack is, since it is mainly clay out here. The track turns into hardpack instantly, and when it does rain it makes huge puddles because it can't seep in. That's why Carnegie sucks after a big rain, it takes at least five days of dry weather for the small puddles to evaporate and the big ones stay for weeks.

The good thing after a good rain is the hills become very tacky.

Back to the question of hardpack tire and Club Moto. Club Moto is far from being hardpack now. I rode there Sunday and the track was perfect with nice tacky dirt. During the summer it becomes pretty hard, especially after several 90 plus days of heat. Try some Maxxis IT's or HT's, and maybe mix and match..HT in the rear with an IT in front. The price is good, and if you don't like them you can try 739's which are much more $$

goodluck

alan