Sign in to follow this  

5MOH origins..you'll like this

Thanks for the link! Having ridden 5MOH, my favorite conversation went like this:

That wasn't 5 miles, it was more like 7 and a half.

Yea, but if it was called 7.5 Miles of Hell, nobody'd ride it.

We were really stupid.. we rode 40miles of singletrack just before dropping in to 5MOH.

Merf

No way Merf we were way more stupid than you, we drank like rock stars the night before, got up and rode about 25 miles, than had lunch with a beer about 1pm we decided to jump in to the devil's dungon &%$#@! about a mile into it we poked a hole in the gastank of a buds ktm ran into three other poor basters (Kelby Peppers cousins) with the same stupid idea we had, scored some JB weld and moved foward (Slowly) I believe its 8.3 miles total, finallly rounded everyone up about 8pm that evening no gas no water, a bud that decided not to go was waiting for us at the exit with gas and beer :cry::cry: that was the hardest ride I ever been on, so we got back to camp and drank like rock stars again :cry::cry:

Thanks for the link, I can now scratch the 5MOH trail off my to do list. I've been on a few other rides like it and my bike lived to see another day.

Stuck in 1st gear for hours, cooking your clutch for lunch. Boulder hopping stuff you need a trials bike for :cry:

5MOH can be done without lots of damage but you need to be honest with yourself and your abilities. If you aren't comfortable with narrow trails, loose rock, mega traction rock, and your ability to move the front wheel around with the throttle, stay away. It's technical and would be fun on a trials bike. I would have hated to have a MX'er in there too... my WR was about the right choice for me. A couple of us had heard that anything over a 250 would boil all the coolant out of the bikes, but of the 4 of us, there were 2 450WR's and a 525EXC. (One 250 MXer but it was competantly piloted by an ISDE gold medalist who makes anything look easy) NONE of the bikes boiled over or even got hot. The mix of riders were 1-AA, 2-A and 1-B enduro rider.

I'd like to do it again, but I want to do it without putting 40 miles on a 45 mile tank first...

Merf

Thanks for the link, I can now scratch the 5MOH trail off my to do list. I've been on a few other rides like it and my bike lived to see another day.

Stuck in 1st gear for hours, cooking your clutch for lunch. Boulder hopping stuff you need a trials bike for :cry:

It's good to be honest with yourself, because if slow 1st gear technical riding doesn't sound like your thing, you probably wouldn't enjoy it. But, I will say this, I did it back in 2000 and haven't been back since, but am itching to do so. After riding 5MOH, there hasn't been a trail obstacle since that has intimidatd me nearly as much. In other words, it does a lot for your confidence and can actually be a lot of fun with proper preparation.

The ultimate really would be a trials bike though. The Wasatch Trials Association (Utah Trials Club) has a sponsored ride down there every year and I know they think the rest of us are crazy.

After making the trip on my WR450, and having fun, I hope that I will be able to get back there on a trials bike sometime. That sounds like so much fun in there.

It's good to be honest with yourself, because if slow 1st gear technical riding doesn't sound like your thing, you probably wouldn't enjoy it. But, I will say this, I did it back in 2000 and haven't been back since, but am itching to do so. After riding 5MOH, there hasn't been a trail obstacle since that has intimidatd me nearly as much. In other words, it does a lot for your confidence and can actually be a lot of fun with proper preparation.

The ultimate really would be a trials bike though. The Wasatch Trials Association (Utah Trials Club) has a sponsored ride down there every year and I know they think the rest of us are crazy.

I bet it would be fun on a trials bike. :cry: I'll be down in the swell several times this summer, might have to check it out anyway, see what all the fuss is about. We'll see if the WR can pull me through it. Can't be much worse than some of the non-existant trail rides I've done before. I will try and do it at the beginning of a ride, not the end. Thanks for the advice.

your rite Merf thanks for the PM I take back what I said, sounds like your trip was more complicated than ours, I did it on a cr 250 and did smoke the clutch. I'll be up there again this fall on the crf250x with the auto clutch, plus knowing what I'm getting into, it should be a hoot. atlasrider summer time in 5moh could cook your brain I suggest spring or fall