Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - LAST NIGHT TO ENTER! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Frame powdercoating prep...please help!!

I am getting ready to send my 2003 YZ250F frame out for powdercoating. With the thought in mind that they will be sandblasting it, what can I do to minimize contaminating my frame. I will fill every threaded hole with an old bolt so I can pull it out and toss it when they are done. What about the dipstick hole, the breather line above it,etc. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

See if you can find anyone with an old wet sump kit they are not using. These kits include an aluminum threaded plug for the top and bottom of the oil tank. That's what I used.

You may also try to find threaded inserts at Home Depot or Lowes or as a last resort large rubber plugs you can stick in there. Many powder shops have these rubber plugs so you may also check with the shop you are taking the frame to.

Rick

Even if you plug all your holes, I would still suggest flushing the frame with diesel or kerosene after you get it back from being powdercoated...just to be safe.

Thank you for the tips. By the way...Rick, you have one of the nicest bikes I've ever seen. Excellent job!! That thing truely is a piece of artwork. :cry:

most powder coating shops will plug the holes for you. My friends parents own northwest industrial coatings and the sandblast and plug every hole.

I sent my frame to jeff at embee.He plugged all the holes for me.Since he does all the factory yamaha frames(for chad reed,ferry,etc) I figured he could handle my frame.He plugged all the holes and masked off around other holes so everything fit perfectly and I did not have to do any scraping or grinding.All I had to do was flush the oil system.