Sign in to follow this  

Just Got new clutch & Springs

I just got a new clutch and springs for my ttr-125. Can Someone help me with step by step instructions on how to put it in, and or tell me where i can get step by step instructions.?

Thanks, Dave

If you have a digital camera take pics as you go:

1. Start soaking new plates in oil

2. Warm motor and drain oil.

3. Disconnect the clutch cable

4. Remove clutch cover.

5. Remove four screws holding springs and discard the old ones.

6. Now you can separate the fiber friction plates from the metal drive plates. Remeber which type goes in first when replaced(ie the last one out). If the metal plates are black/discolored then you should have them bead blasted.

7. When you put the clutch plates back in, look at the outside edges. One edge is rounded and one is squared off. This is true of both fiber and metal plates. When putting them back together, make sure all the edges are in the same way. Like, either, all the rough edges facing out, or all the smooth edges facing out. It doesn't matter which, as long as they are the same.

8. Put the pressure plate over the last clutch plate, put the springs in their holes and screw in the bolts. The pressure plate goes on only 1 way. If you are having trouble screwing in the bolts, the pressure plate is on wrong. Pull it back and turn it 90 degrees and try again....etc

9. Replace clutch cover, attach cable, fill w/ oil and adjust lever for 5mm play.

RIDE!

A few forgotten bits. :cry:

You have to take off the kickstarter and undo the rear brake lever and the little return spring.

The clutch pressure plate lines up the arrow on the plate with the arrow on the hub. You should then adjust the clutch mechanism free play by lining up the arm on the case with the line in the case (its there) then undo the nut in the middle and adjust the screw to about 1/8th turn of freeplay and then lock up the nut. This bit is fiddly but VIP. You probably need a new gasket as well for the cover.

If you shreded to clutch plates I would recommend taking off the clutch basket and the primary drive nut and replace the oil filter (Yes there is one in a TTR and its NOT the screen in the bottom). If they have slowly worn it shouldnt be necessary.

Of course ACS is right!

BUT, what filter are you refering to? I've had my cases apart more than anyone I know, and I would swear, there is not a filter other than the ~4cmX4cm screen in the cases? :cry:

Educate us, O Lord of TTR! :cry:

thanks guys so much, me n my dad will tackle it this weekend. And DuglusFur, i have a camera, but why take pictures as i go along?

Hey,

Dave how much was the cluthch?? and also where did u get it?? Also was there a specfic reason u had got a new cluthch?? was it becuz of shifting problems??

Thanks for your time!! :cry:

Behind the primary drive nut and gear is a centrifical oil filter. It is shown in the manual and its a flattish metal disc. It has a tang that slots into the crank. It looks nothing like a car filter or a bike filter like in road bikes etc. I have replaced a few over time and its suprising how much crud is in them. Not too cheap but a good idea to replace when you are inside the motor.

Ok this is my first post here and it is a little bit of a rant…sorry. I had just purchased this same bike for my wife a few weeks ago TTR125LE. She burned out the clutch in about 5-7 hours of riding. The bike was less than 2 weeks old and only taken out twice. She is a new rider so I am guessing it was just not used correctly. It still seemed funny burning a clutch out that fast. I really abuse my clutch on my crf250x and never have any problems with it. The retail price for the friction disc, metal disk, and gasket was 104. I did get the dealer to cut me a break on the price since it was a new bike, but Yamaha would not touch it under warned work. As a matter of fact I brought the bike to the shop thinking they would just fix it under warranty. At the time I brought it to the shop I was not sure it was the clutch….but I did have a good idea that was the problem. They called me and told me that the bike needed a new clutch, told me Yamaha would not pay for it, and then charged me $31.00 for the estimate. I guess I did not really expect it to be covered under the warranty, but I really did not expect to be charged 31 dollars to be told that. I was just a little disappointed that the clutch would go out in less than 20 miles of ridding when Yamaha advertises this to have a heavy duty clutch. Thank god it was heavy duty or I would have only gotten 10 miles out of it:)

Thanks,

Chad

i got a new clutch and springs, becasue i started to feel clutch slippage and lose of power. And i think it was about time for a new one. I got my clutch from rockymountainmc, it was fairy cheap only like 32 bucks. I got the springs from BBR, becasue they clutch kit doesn't come with springs.

dave.