2005 525 exc or mxc?????

Guys I need some help. I am getting a new bike and the dealer just threw me a curve ball and I don't know what to do. I was getting a 2005 525 EXC through a dealer trade. He just called and said he has a 2005 525 mxc in a crate he will give me $200 cheaper ($6600 out the door). I told him I really needed the EXC for the headlight, he told me to hold on and came back and said he would throw in a new headlight with a new mask in the box for the same price. He says KTM techline said the wiring is already there and they use the same stator. My question is this. Is there any reason not to do this deal? Are there any other differences, other than the tank/shrouds? The dealer says same tranny, ignition, same everything. Please help. Thanx for any advice.

The dealer is WRONG - the biggist dif. is the tranny - the MXC has a much higher first gear and has a close ratio tranny - the EXC has a wide ratio tranny with a much lower first gear - the only gear that is the same between the two is the 4th gear. On the EXC the 1st 3 gears are lower and the last 2 gears are taller than the MXC. The MXC does have the wiring for a head light.

It really depends on where you ride - if you ride a lot of very tight single track the EXC is prob. better - the MXC was designed more for desert but still great for the trails - you just have to gear it down a lot for the tight stuff.

good luck

dp

Here in Washington the EXC is the only way to go se we don't even see many MXC's. If you get into the woods much I would forget MXC, if in more open country it is better as when you shift it will be in the heart of the powerband, you can upshift mid way on a big hill climb much better with the MXC.

I ride a 520mxc in tight wa woods running a 15/50 set up and the bike ROCKS : ). I change out to a 14/46 for baja or when we shoot over and ride eastern wa and the bike rips over there as well : ). Point is i think you would like both just as much although the mxc tank is a little hard to get up on because its so much larger then the exc. Well thats my two cents. By the way baja in march, ten riders this year and always room for more : )

I ride a 520mxc in tight wa woods running a 15/50 set up and the bike ROCKS : ). I change out to a 14/46 for baja or when we shoot over and ride eastern wa and the bike rips over there as well : ). Point is i think you would like both just as much although the mxc tank is a little hard to get up on because its so much larger then the exc. Well thats my two cents. By the way baja in march, ten riders this year and always room for more : )

15/50? did you mean 13/50!? Where are you from? Where in Eastern Wa are you riding, I am about ready for an outing in that direction.

Dave,

13/50 and i would flip my bike everytime i cracked it open : ) I found running the 15 tooth really works well for me. I live in the Gig harbor area so i ride alot at belfair when i have the time. As far as riding in eastern wa we leave right outside of turtle town and cruise over to jacks for lunch and ride the ridge back around and above lake kachese. Just rebuilt the top end of my bike and will be breaking it in this weekend if time permits. My E-mail is onewoodsrider@yahoo.com, drop me a line and maybe we can hook up for a ride sometime.