Once a dirt biker, always a dirt biker?

Since last summer I have been back as a dirt bike rider after a 20+ year absence. During those years I moved with my job to Dallas but I stayed on top of the sport by watching races on TV, reading Cycle News and magazines and attending the Dallas Supercross every year. I even made the trek to Unadilla in '87 to witness the MXdN. I had always planned to get another bike but I became wrapped up in my job and raising a family during those years and I just never seemed to put it together. It has been great to get back into the sport as well as becoming part of ThumperTalk.

I have recently wondered about some of my old racing buddies from back when I first started in the Kansas City area over 30 years ago. I did a web search and found a phone number and lo and behold I was able to reach the buddy who first encouraged me to join him racing MX. He still races hare scrambles and has a couple of YZ250's one a 2 smoke the other an F. I also found out he has stayed in touch with a couple of other buddies who also still ride.

I had posted the story of Karsmakers boots a few months back. (Do a search of my posts so I don't have to repeat it) The guy who bought those boots actually still races MX and I now have his phone number as well.

Hopefully the first buddy will show up here on ThumperTalk soon. He is also talking about making a trip to Dallas so we can attend the first GNCC race of the year in a couple of weeks. I will post pictures if we go.

When I think about all the years that have melted away by getting back into this sport it is surprising to realize how deep something like this gets in your blood. Even when I wasn't riding I kept up the interest. Very cool that my old buds are still at it too. I hope I am still around and still feel the same way in another 20 years! ?

In the meantime a reunion ride is the works somewhere down the road. I can't wait!