Sign in to follow this  

Tire shop recommendations in Sacramento?

I don't know if this is allowed to be talked about on the forum (comparing one shop to another) but if it is please delete and I apologize.

Anyhow, I'm a newbie to dirtbiking and my '05 DRZ in general...I'm getting around to doing the basic upgrades. I'm onto tires now. I was planning on getting the Michelin AC10 front and rear...I wanted to know if you people out there in the Sacramento area can recommend a tire shop or two to me that you hold higher in overall regards. I was going to go to cycle gear becasue of my past good experiences, but I have to wait up o five days to have the tires ordered since they do not stock a huge variety of most things...and I want to ride this Sunday...my deathwings will just not do for Mammoth Bar. Anywhere you can suggest to try and call? Hopefully a place that mounts and balances as well (again, newbie.) Thanks for all the help so far.

Jeff

Roseville cycle has a stock of some tires I got the Dunlop 606s and they stick well for me. I don't know how long they take to put them on,, I put them on myself.

How much did you pay for your 606's at Roseville? I was looking into those too, but they seem to be more like a 90/10 dirt/street tire...would you agree? I ride a decent amount of street, but I'm torn because I really have heard good things about the Dunlops. Any ideas? I don't mean for this to turn into another tire shootout...but I'm just asking.

Roseville Cycle has pretty decent prices on tires. D606 around $55 for a rear I think. Most smaller shops charge bundles.

I don't really care for a D606 front on the road but the rear will last a good 1200 miles before balding the way I drive.... Which consists of lots of front wheel preservation. :cry:

I use the bike mainly for dirt but my thought is a street tire $ucks a bunch more dirt then a dirt tire does on the street! :cry: a bunch cheaper on line but if convenience and time matters, they run around 57 for the front 58 for the rear. Mounting they say is ~$35 per tire if you bring the bike in.. Cheaper if you just bring in the wheels.

I usually get mine at Cycle gear on Madison Ave. Tires prices are good and they will mount (and balance if you ask normally they do not balance knobbies but they will if you tell them it is for dual sport) for $10 - 12 per wheel. I always mount my fron but pay them for the back with the rim locks.

I'm on the same page as you about street tires being totally terrible on the dirt...and I've only had the bike for 500 miles. Just hit the initial break in period on Monday!! Tires are a must for me at this point and it is hard to choose with the restriction of having to have one good tire for two purposes. When I can afford another set of wheels I'll go the separate street tire and dirt tire route, but I'm not there yet. I'll sacrifice for now.

Is the Michelin worth the ability to rotate the tire in such a noticeable fashion with their equivalent treadwear in both directions (I hope that makes sense.)

Any other shops out there that have decent prices and the ability to mount and balance at a decent price as well? I have a hard time going to Roseville because they were pretty lame when it came to buying my bike. I didn't buy from them because the salesman I was dealing with was a freaking D!(k. But I know tires are a different story and I do want them quick...

Cycle gear on madison was my first call...they won't have them for 3 to 5 days if I decide to order.

Is the Michelin worth the ability to rotate the tire in such a noticeable fashion with their equivalent treadwear in both directions (I hope that makes sense.)

IMO the energy spent to flip a tire is a waste of energy, maybe good for a ride or so, if that.

IMO the energy spent to flip a tire is a waste of energy, maybe good for a ride or so, if that.

I never thought about that... :cry: Then I guess this will turn into a micro tire shootout...Do you know if the Michelin will out last the Dunlops 1200 or so miles from a newbie rider that rides 50% or so street?

Hey Jeff-

I agree the bike sales guys at Roseville are a bunch of tools...

The parts guys and service guys have always been cool to me and they do good work. At a minimum, my recommendation is to take the wheels off and take them in to have them mounted. I also think you should work toward the goal of learning to mount them yourself, but take baby steps... :cry:

The guys at MPC in Citrus Heights are cool, but I don't think their prices are anything to write home about and they may give you a hard time (ribbing) since you didn't buy a KTM from them.

Apex Motorsports in Auburn can do it as well, but they are higher priced and I don't recall seeing a whole lot of Dunlops in there last time I visited them.

If you really want tires to ride Mammoth this weekend, I think you're kind of stuck with Roseville Cycle.

As a side note, you might think about riding Sugar Pine instead of Mammoth Bar - I was down at Mammoth two weekends ago and it was a freakin' zoo! :cry: I packed it up after riding one trail and went to go ride somewhere else. The one thing Mammoth has is a track - no track at Sugar Pine.

Crashbain, Thanks for the helpful post. I really just want to ride this weekend...hell, I'll go to Prairie City if I have to. And I know I need my tires. I might just go to Roseville and deal with supporting the not needed to be supported.

I do need to learn to do my own, I just won't have time this time (figures it's my first time)...not even Saturday. I just wanted to get it done. Thanks for the advice everybody.

I'm going to be installing my Kouba links and my rad guards and case guards myself though...that should be a nice treat for a newbie!!

if there are any more recommendations...keep 'em coming...I'm listening.

The treadmill on folsom, between watt & howe will mount the same day.

Sometimes in an hour or 2 if you ask them. They should be able to

order you some. I usualy find them cheaper online & bring them in.

They used to give me a deal $12 per rim mount & balance, they have since

gone up to $24, about the same price as Goodtimes. Now I go there

so I can use my kawi card. Goodtimes has never told me more then

1 day turn around, they will probably mount cheaper if you buy from them.

Not a big in stock selection, but they can get you anything.