Sign in to follow this  

'04 YZF Blowing Oil

Well, I had a bad ride today. Came home from school, got on the 'ol YZF and took off through the woods. I have about 120 acres of woods crisscrossed with trails and I had turned around to give me enough time to get back before dark when my bike starts smoking from around the radiator. I turned it off and an inspection revealed there was oil pouring onto the header and part of the radiator, burning, and then causing the smoke. Now, where is the oil coming from? Another inspection revealed the front of the motor was missing a bolt! I have attached a pic detailing where the bolt is. Now I'm fairly sure there's supposed to be a bolt there, and I'm wondering if anybody knows what size this bolt is or where I can order one.

Here's the pic. The bolt would be put in from the front of the motor, as in the head of the bolt facing the front wheel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/red_rider07/04yz250f_header_pipe.jpg

BTW, the pic is off the Yami website, my bike's nowhere near that clean.

my bolt got stripped out in the same spot and popped out i just took a bolt that was a little bigger ( i think that bolt had 10 mm threads so i took a 12 mm threaded bolt and cranked it in and it works perfectly ), :cry: but if yours wasnt stripped out then just get a bolt that looks approximately the same size and put that it :cry:

Is the part missing exactly what is circled, or is it on the front of the head as it appears you said?

How big is the hole in the head... about 1/2"-3/4"

If you still have the screw that you circled in the photo, then you lost the decompression plug... a long known problem from '03 and up.

Get a decomp plug from the TT store and she'll be fine. You'll need to remove the screw you circled, slip in the TT plug, then replace that smaller screw, which holds the TT plug in place.

Is the part missing exactly what is circled, or is it on the front of the head as it appears you said?

How big is the hole in the head... about 1/2"-3/4"

If you still have the screw that you circled in the photo, then you lost the decompression plug... a long known problem from '03 and up.

Get a decomp plug from the TT store and she'll be fine. You'll need to remove the screw you circled, slip in the TT plug, then replace that smaller screw, which holds the TT plug in place.

I lost the plug in front of the head. I still have the bolt you can see in the pic. The hole is about 3/4". I've already ordered the plug off the TT Store.

happened to my wr also i had a long push home and because of that i couldn't race the next day.

same thing happen 2 me on my '04, so i just ordered a couple from yamaha for like 6 bux and re-installed it w/ some hi-temp silicone sealant...