Sign in to follow this  

2002 CRF450 that bad!?!

Hey Whats Up....

As usual I was going through and reading all the posts on here and I couldn't help but see that people are saying that the 02 CRF is a bad choice. Some are advising not to buy an 02 and get a newer one. I have a 02 and I have had some trouble with it but its because of poor maintanence (new 4-stroke owner). I have had it less than a year and ride and race MX alot so it gets its use. I know other people that have the 02 and have had no probs. Any other 02 owners out there that agree that the 02 is a great bike...because I think mine is!

Later,

Josh #00

I think the 02 was a good bike, But most people would advise somwon to buy a used 03-04 before they bought a 02 because, the 03 had better handling, better air box, and more parts are interchangeable with the 04.

Some one said they wouldnt suggest the 04 because they tend to blow up because of valve failure. I'd ride any CRF. :cry:

I also have an 02 ,and afther having the suspension done,an adding a storm-link,and ss valves, what more would want.Doing the suspension was the big thing,made it handle much better.

Can't say I dont like mine.

Mines pretty much stock and I do fairly well with it.

I like it, and couldn't care less what people with the 05's think when they see me at the races.......

CCarl and I have had this discussion before and here's my opinion: first off, the '05 is a better bike, period. But realistically, it's better be, right? I mean Honda had 3 years to refine it! But having ridden a freinds, '05 I can tell you this much it will NOT magically make a so-so rider into a winner, no bike ever made will since THE most important piece of the equation is still and always will be you, the rider. Having said that, wouldn't you just love to beat the pants off a squid with a bike that costs nearly twice what yours did? The engines put out about the same hp, and since all 450's put about too much (is there such a thing as too much?) power, you gotta figure handling is where the difference is made. In the past few months since the introduction of the '05 some people have said some pretty outrageous things about them. Some claim they're 20 lbs lighter, my buddy and I rolled our 450's across the local truck scales and didn't see a difference, 240 lbs each. Now that's misleading since truck scales only register in 20 lb increments and round off (up or down) to the nearest 20lb number, but still, how far off could they be in wieght? Also, don't believe any of the stories about how unreliable any bike is, since you don't know the person doing the maintenance or the way they ride. These things are RACE bikes and are seldom treated as such.Another of my riding buddies recently greneded his '04 when the oil pump went south. Was it the oil pumps fault? I'm guessing not since he changes his oil regularly, but never changes his filter! Does that make the bike unreliable? No it makes him an idiot. My '02 still has it's stock Ti valves and is only on it's second piston. I bought it from a local pro who used on track days but never raced it, but he was meticulous in his maintenance, and I have done the same. The bike starts first time, every time and other than some cosmetic stuff like new plastic and a seat cover, I haven't spent a dime on the thing. If I had to make a choice between sinking $2,000 or so to improve my bike vs buying a new one, I'd have to say I'd buy new. But the bike is a much better bike than I am a rider, so why bother?

I totally agree. I love my 02. In fact I two of my buddies have 03s and I like my 02 better. They lowered the pegs on the 03/04 and I am only 5'3" tall I like how my 02 felt better. I also like how my 02 runs. I never rev it I am a lugger. Hell I do starts in third and use 3rd and 4th just about everywhere. I have the cash right now to either put into my 02 or buy an 05. With what I would spend on an 05 I can have my suspension done and do some other minor work. I will save a boat load of cash, and in the end getting my suspension revalved for my size and weight will help me become a better rider than what a new 05 is. As for its reliablility I have never had a problem with my bike. I am on the stock valves, and first piston. I have about 80 hours on mine and it starts third kick after sitting in my cold garage for a month. Its all about how you maintain your bike and that will determine its reliability.

I have two '02 crfs. One of them I got in Oct. '01, one of the first ones released. I have a TON of hours on it and the only thing I've ever had to do was replace a water pump seal, no valve problems or anything else. Honda changed the rear spring and rear linkage for '03 but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to make the '02 handle great, just get stiffer springs and slide the forks up in the clamps and you've got a perfect handling bike. If you want to make it run like an '04 then just put the '04 piston in. There really isn't much difference between the 02/03/04 models just fine tuning so if you're looking for a used bike then buy the one that is well taken care of, regardless of what year it is.

I just bought a used 02 about 8 months ago for $3100 from a guy who just rode moto on the weekends. has all the cool stuff on it. Clamps, heavier springs, etc. Has original valves in it. Just cheched the clearance of them and their still in spec. Been changing the oil and filter after ever other ride or after a dusty one and she is still going great. I'm planning on racing the GNCC this next weekend and hope to do well against the newer bikes.

Yeah.... I'd like an 05 but my pocket book likes the 02. Don't think I'd be much faster on the new one.

You can pick up a nice 02 for under 3 grand these days and have just as much luck getting a good 02 than any other year. I've seen some pretty ragged out 04s out there and my 02 is in better shape than all but new ones.

I have my 02 since november of 02 with no problems other then a lack of maintenance on my part, but I don't see any of the changes they made so far that big of a deal to make me want to buy a new one, now if and when they come out with FI and get it right, I will be getting a new one.

Stewart Frank

02CRF450

Storm#321

Well put Zookeeper. I agree, it doesnt matter what bike I am on, I am still one of the slower riders out there. I like my 02 a lot and plan on keeping it for awhile. I just mainly play ride with the occasional race, but its just a fun aspect for me, and fun is exactly what I get.

Hats off to the owners of the 2005's, I am sure they are unreal and I just dont know what I am missing, but I am grinning way too much on this bike and don't even come close to riding it to its potential, so I am going to stick with what I got.

I bought a 02 last August. I had to put a new top end in but now it's the most kick ass machine I've ever owned. But all this talk about 05's makes me want to get one. But not until 07 when great deals on 05's are sure to be had just like 02's now.

I recently bought a clean '02 with all the right goodies. At 90+ hours the original top end is perfectly in spec. I'm keeping the oil changes regular at 2-4 hrs.

One big bonus for me in California: this is a GREEN STICKER bike. Means I can trail ride all year long, instead of just Dec -Feb. My buddies, who are not any faster on than me on their '05's, can only track ride now at $20/day...

I have had an 02 since new and I did all of the handling things to it....20mm clamps and the storm link. Took the head off a year ago and had eric gorr rebuild my head with stainless valves. I also put in a 04 piston (wiseco) I have a big gun slip on and a powernow wing in the carb.I have a friend who is a better mx rider than me .......he has ridden a stock 04 450 on the track and a 04 450 with a fmf factory 4 exhaust.....he claims my old girl is faster or he can ride it faster. There is nothing wrong with my bike so why get rid of it? Maybe an 06 for me.