Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X Price Increase

My buddy just put a deposit on a CRF450X today and found out that the price has gone up $200 to $7199.00 as of February 1st. Seems that Honda had to raise prices due to increased costs to build the machines and shipping. He was able to get a $500 discount though which helps.

sounds like the dealer rasied the prices :cry:

Nope, it was Honda...Everything went up; Lawmowers, Tillers, Off-Road, ATVs, Streetbikes, Power Equip., Watercraft, everything.

Well here goes !

I own a 05 CRF450R, a 2005 CRF250X and a 05 450EXC KTM. All are very good bikes. Before I would ever pay $7,199.00 for the Honda I would buy another KTM. The KTM comes stock with at least a $1,000 worth of upgrades the Honda doesn't have. (Wheels & Spokes for one) I have had every CRF450 from 2002 on and a 2004 and 2005 CRF250X and I really like them. I also had a 2004 450EXC KTM. I have never had "any" problems with the KTM and have had some valve problems with the CRF.

Now I'm not putting down Honda! What I am saying is that Honda will either price themselves right out of the Enduro market or at least make more people take a harder look at the KTM which in my mind , "Part for Part" wouls be a better buy if Honda does raise their prices.

To those people that will be pissed off about my statement I say, don't knock the KTM unless you own one or have owned one. I really like both the bikes and I am not pushing the KTM. All I'm saying is that there comes a point where people will feel that some companies are trying to capitalize on their hype.

Ok! Lets hear some thoughts.

Thanks

Well here goes !

I own a 05 CRF450R, a 2005 CRF250X and a 05 450EXC KTM. All are very good bikes. Before I would ever pay $7,199.00 for the Honda I would buy another KTM. The KTM comes stock with at least a $1,000 worth of upgrades the Honda doesn't have. (Wheels & Spokes for one) I have had every CRF450 from 2002 on and a 2004 and 2005 CRF250X and I really like them. I also had a 2004 450EXC KTM. I have never had "any" problems with the KTM and have had some valve problems with the CRF.

Now I'm not putting down Honda! What I am saying is that Honda will either price themselves right out of the Enduro market or at least make more people take a harder look at the KTM which in my mind , "Part for Part" wouls be a better buy if Honda does raise their prices.

To those people that will be pissed off about my statement I say, don't knock the KTM unless you own one or have owned one. I really like both the bikes and I am not pushing the KTM. All I'm saying is that there comes a point where people will feel that some companies are trying to capitalize on their hype.

Ok! Lets hear some thoughts.

Thanks

My riding buddy bought an '04 KTM 450SX brand new, a few months before I bought my '05 CRF450. Yes, I would agree with you as far as the KTM coming with some quality parts. Namely, the Excel wheels and hydraulic clutch. But, saying it comes with $1000 worth of extras is stretching it. But, I don't care if it came with $3000 worth of quality parts, I will still pick the bike that RIDES the best to me. I have ridden his and I must say I am happy I bought the Honda. I am not putting the KTM down, it just feels heavier, looser, the seat is crazy hard, and the bike feels mushy compared to mine. My Honda feels much more nimble, tight, feels way lighter, more powerful, and much plusher. Forget the names on the wheels and the juice clutch (I like my cable clutch just as well, by the way), I want the bike that I feel more comfortable on. Wheels bend eventually, I'll replace them with good ones when that happens. Concerning Hondas being overpriced...well, apparently they are selling like hot cakes so far. I have heard of dealers already unable to get any more '05's. People will buy what works the best and what they feel the fastest on. But don't get me wrong, KTM has a good bike, just not for me.

As for reliability....I don't know yet. Neither of us has enough time on them to have any problems. I guess I'll take my chances.

Well here goes ! I own a 05 CRF450R, a 2005 CRF250X and a 05 450EXC KTM. All are very good bikes. Before I would ever pay $7,199.00 for the Honda I would buy another KTM. The KTM comes stock with at least a $1,000 worth of upgrades the Honda doesn't have.

That's the same price quoted for the awseome new Husky TE-510 I just read a test on in Dirt Bike. And the TE-450 is $300 less! All the top shelf goodies that KTM's (Kost Too Much) come with but with beautiful looks (no orange!) fit, finish and cheaper! Plus they're faster then KTM's and much easier to work on! I hate to give up on a long history of Honda's but that IS getting expensive for a jap bike..or any dirt bike for that matter!

the seat is crazy hard,

Is it true KTM will give a free workout video with each new bike; "Buns of Steel?" You need them to ride the bike.

My buddy just put a deposit on a CRF450X today and found out that the price has gone up $200 to $7199.00 as of February 1st.

Dang! Now THAT's a bargain! For $100 dollars less than a KTM 450 or 525 EXC you can get a whole 18 POUNDS more bike! I'm running down to my dealer right now!

;-)

ps. That price is pretty much exactly what I paid for my 525, but that was out the door, including sales tax, title, registration and my tag for street use.

I guess I got gipped out of the extra 18 pounds more bike, but I really don't mind. :cry:

My buddy just put a deposit on a CRF450X today and found out that the price has gone up $200 to $7199.00 as of February 1st.

I'm not saying that the price has not gone up, but the Honda web site still says $6,999. As for expensive, I went back and found that the MSRP for a '97 XR400 was $5,199. Factor in 7 years of 3.5% inflation, and an inflation correct '97 XR400 price is $6,615. Additionally, a 2005 XR650 has an MSRP of $6,099. Given that I anticipate that the 450X will be a far better overall package than either of the XR's, the price seems reasonable to me.

I was surprised that the '97 XR cost so much given that the '04 XR400 has an MSRP of $5,299 ($100 increase in 6 years?). Maybe Honda starts with fairly high prices so they don't need yearly price increases to recover costs in the intended time frame.

EDIT: Honda site now says $7,199. Must be official.

Honda is making KTM and Husqvarna look much more appealing. Goes back to the same thing...Honda choices. Just seems like when they are wanting to come back strong after years of off-road abandonment that they are really not into it and want to boost Euro off-road bike sales. (They wouldn't update the XR's for almost 10 years except for bold new graphics and they did not make a 2 stk off road bike either.)

Add this to the fact that the Honda dealers around here certainly have not wanted to move off of full price and want to add $250-300 set-up, it makes you wonder why more of the red riders have not been chanding colors.

At this point, a fully equipped/protected (skid plate, radiator guards, bark busters) Husky or KTM still is cheaper than an off the floor CRF450X and they are all green sticker bikes. Oh and BTW both of them are lighter and have 6 speed transmissions.

That one is really funny. (Sponsering the Ex-Wife) I would rather have a bike any day.

I also don't think Honda can just over night think they are now experts in the Enduro world.

I am not bashing Honda. In fact I have ridden Hondas for a majority of my life. I just don't see their wisdom in some things lately. I guess that is why I'm a near destitute amatuer hobby racer and they are rollin in the cash and have people ten deep at each stealership waiting to pay them $7200.00 bucks for a bike most have not even seen yet.

Honda originally posted the price of the 450F at $6599 when I put a deposit down for mine back in June of last year for the '05. By the time I got the bike in October Honda had upped the price to $6699. Now I see the price has jumped another $200 dollars. Is this a result of a weak US dollar or what? :cry:

Here is my question, on Jan 5th I put down $500 on a 05 450X and signed a purchase order for a out the door cash price of $6799.98 . The downpayment is non refundable and the agreement is bound once signed by the dealer wich it is.So am I in good shape or are they going to try to get another 200 bucks out of me or are they screwed by honda for changing the msrp so late?