Sign in to follow this  

Suspension service: do I use this guy?

I called my local Pro-Action dealer in Utah, and asked about re-valving and lowering my suspension front and rear. I would really like the bike to be lowered while I've got it apart for valves. He seemed to know what he was talking about with valve sugguestions for my riding style, but had never heard of lowering by internal travel restrictors. (which I've read about here) He had heard of a Kouba link but didn't know if it would affect the ride or if he should tune the rear differently for one. And had no idea about shortening the forks.

They're just down the road so the convienence of not shipping parts accross the country would be nice. And a quick turn around. $440 for valves and a Pro-Action piston for the shock, is that a good deal? But no lowering, should I get a Kouba instead?

Do I want to use these guys? :cry:

I would go with the Kouba link in the rear, and then raise your forks in the clamps as high as you can. but leave some clearence between the bars and the forks!

Ryan

Are these the guys in Heber? If so, I have never heard a bad thing said abotu them. I have had at least 20 different riders tell me how good they are.

So did I take my stuff in to them...No! That would be too easy. Hopefully I can before the season starts.

Before you spend money with Pro Action, give Works Enduro Rider a call. It's Drew Smith...ISDE hero and developer of many bikes.He did my bike and it is the best set up I've ever had. His brother,Chris,rode a stock X to several top 5's in National enduros last season, and Drew dialed in the bike.

They are in NJ, so you'll have to ship, but it will be worth it.

I'll second WER . They did mine too and it's the best I've ever had. They also lowered it 1 1/2" which doesn't cost extra. I'm surprised your guy hasn't heard of lowering. It's not that uncommon. And I would shy away from lowering links, especially if your having yours revalved. You'll be money ahead and the bike will be set up for you the way it should.

If they don't know how to do the lowering I would have serious doubts. It's not rocket science.

If they don't know how to do the lowering I would have serious doubts. It's not rocket science.

That's exactly what has made me question these guys. I went to the W.E.R. site and they do the shortening for no extra charge, so it can't be a major problem. There's a guy in Salt Lake City, Racers Edge, that's a Race Tech trained mechanic and sells Gold Valves. He understood what I wanted, and Gold Valves sure have the "golden" reputation! :cry:

I don't want to dump on the Pro-Action guys, but I think I should go with someone with more experience?

The Kouba Link ($150?) lowers without a loss of travel, but if I'm going to re-valve for my ability and terrain, why not shorten the travel for no extra charge?

I haven't had much luck with gold Valves. I also have had several bikes done by the big famous place in NH....non really worked out for me and my style.

I didn't think my X was too bad stock....I was really impressed with it. but then I rode a bike set up by WER, and I boxed my stuff up the next day.

Name & number if you please. :cry:

Racers Edge, a Race Tech franchise, Salt Lake City, UT

Justin Jones

801-864-0663

$450 for the Gold Valves and appropriate shims

an additional charge for fork springs and shims to lower the bike

I'm going to go with a Kouba Link and maybe lower the sub frame a little.

Racers Edge, a Race Tech franchise, Salt Lake City, UT

Justin Jones

801-864-0663

$450 for the Gold Valves and appropriate shims

an additional charge for fork springs and shims to lower the bike

I'm going to go with a Kouba Link and maybe lower the sub frame a little.

Thanks for the info... I met Justin today and broke my bike down earlier this evening. I'll drop the parts of Monday and he'll have it for me toward the end of the week. Hell of a nice guy he is too. :cry: