Sign in to follow this  

Kinda mad, what to do?

Well, I just had my valves checked about 8 hours of riding ago. I've ridden it at a motocross track, and then out at Ocotillo Wells. When I got to Ocotillo Wells, my bike didn't run real well. It was very cold, and the altitude was about 500ft lower then where I normally ride. I figured it was the temp. and the altitude, but when I started my bike at my house, it ran the same. It starts right up, but even after getting warmed up for about 5 minutes, it doesn't bogs when I snap the throttle. It still idles alright, but it just has the bog going. Also, I stalled it a few times at Ocotillo when I was going to slow, it bogged out on me. I really don't want to get the valves checked again, so I'm thinking I may have some sort of schmiggma/crud stuck in the carb. I guess I'll tear the carb apart and clean it out, and then see how it runs after that. Anything I need to watch out for when I tear the carb apart? I've done it quite a few times on XR's, but not on my KX. I guess if the carb looks alright, I'll get the valves checked again? I have brand new oil in it, and the filter is new too. I just want to get it running good like it was before I rode at Ocotillo. TIA

The cold weather can cause the bog you are experiencing as well as the altitude, try turning out you fuel screw from fully seated position to 3 to 3and 1/2 turns out,

checking ur valves is easier than tearing ur carb out then taking it apart and putting it back together and then puting back in the boots. u might want to put a #42 pilot jet since the stocker is too lean especially in cali altitude. i put one on my bike since it idled like crap and the low response was a bog also then i adjust my fuel screw and fixed my problem. but i didnt pull my carb out i just loosened it twisted it and pulled the main jet out and replaced the pilot jet to left above the main jet.

I have a #42 pilot already, helped out a lot. I don't know how to check my valves, or esle I'd probably already have done it. They've been checked already, about 8 hours ago. I'm going to ride it tomorrow at Elsinore and if it doesn't run good, get the valves checked again. I'm hoping its just been the cold weather and dry air we've been having the last few days. I'll report tomorrow.

Usually valves tighten up the gap and that creates hard starting. If it starts right up like you said, that doesn't follow the common valve issue. So it could be a plugged up carb hose or jet.

Jetting. make adjustments to your fuel screw in 1/4 turn increments. You'll probably have to go richer since it's colder and lower in altitude.

If your bike bogs just at the initial crack of the throttle, it should be a jetting issue. I have trouble getting my bike started with a 42 pilot and 3.5 turns out. But then that is in -10 degree weather. I was going to go bigger with the pilot, but its too cold to ride now in -20 degrees to -40. I'm in the process of putting on a FMF F4 exhaust system and some other things. So because of that I'll have to play with the jetting again. Also, don't be intimidated to check your valves. Very simple process and yes it is less work than taking the carb apart. If you clean your air filter after every time you ride, your valves will go longer before you have to adjust them. I have 40 hrs. on my bike and haven't had to adjust them yet. Knock-on-wood. After every time I ride I clean and change my air filter. On race day I'll clean it after practice and between motos. If you have extra ones ready to go its not a pain in the butt. Mondays are my rest day so I clean all my air filters.