Sign in to follow this  

Another GPS ???

OK so I am looking into getting a GPS for dual sporting ie: being able to ride my bike on the road and I need something that can tell me how fast I am going. Sure I could just get one of those Endurance computers but I have not heard great things about them and plus I like the fact that the GPS have the tracking. Anyhow, I don't want to spend a lot of money so I am looking at the very basic GArmin Etrex, it's the yellow one and it looks like I could pick one up off of E-bay for about 50$ then buy the mount and wiring stuff and be into it like 100$. Will that unit handle all the vibration and is it very accurate with the speed?

i have a rino and the speed is 99 percent accurate imo. lines up with the speedometer on the car. i have yet to call IMS about a mount (btw what do bar mounts useally cost)

i think its great for trails and speed and stuff, i even took it snowboarding. I dont no about vibration though

OK so I am looking into getting a GPS for dual sporting ie: being able to ride my bike on the road and I need something that can tell me how fast I am going. Sure I could just get one of those Endurance computers but I have not heard great things about them and plus I like the fact that the GPS have the tracking. Anyhow, I don't want to spend a lot of money so I am looking at the very basic GArmin Etrex, it's the yellow one and it looks like I could pick one up off of E-bay for about 50$ then buy the mount and wiring stuff and be into it like 100$. Will that unit handle all the vibration and is it very accurate with the speed?

I'd suggest the Garmin Legend, right around $100.00 on Amazon or cheaper on ebay.com. The Legend has ~8mb of map memory so you can load up some maps for your area. I have one and I'm as happy as I would be if I spent $300-400 on a GPS.

I'd suggest the Garmin Legend, right around $100.00 on Amazon or cheaper on ebay.com. The Legend has ~8mb of map memory so you can load up some maps for your area. I have one and I'm as happy as I would be if I spent $300-400 on a GPS.

Man show me where I can pick one of those up for 100$ and I'm all over it. I was just on Amazon and they were around 150$ which is just out of my range.

Man show me where I can pick one of those up for 100$ and I'm all over it. I was just on Amazon and they were around 150$ which is just out of my range.

$130.00 w/ free shipping: (1st one on the list, sold by amazon.com. add to cart to see the price.)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B000058BCQ/all/qid=1107444175/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1a/102-1116772-6848904

Remember that the Legend comes w/ 8mb of memory and a PC data cable which really worth the extra dough. I know someone that has the yellow Garmin and it really is as limited as limited gets.

wrfrk,

Check around the internet and find the RAM mount for a GPS. It is designed for motorcycle use, has rubber inserts to dampen vibration, and is also designed to fold/twist in the event of a crash.

Also, if your bike has a battery, try to get a GPS that will accept an external power source.

Cheers,

Mac