Sign in to follow this  

dual sporting a dirt model (dr350)

I sold my '97se a few months ago in hopes of upgrading to a drz400e. This would be a second bike and I would still ride the kdx for dirt-only rides. I'm mainly interested in a few dualsport rides/year and lots of weekends in Arkansas national forests...and possibly a long ride this summer. I'm thinking about the dr350 dirt model because I can find one at about 1/3 the cost of a drz400 and I like the pumper carb and minimal street gear. Have any of you dualsported a dirt model? I'm talking brake light/horn/high-low headlight and a mirror (the minimum). What battery setup would I need to run? Anyone done this? I'm in Texas and it's pretty easy to pass inspection

A friend and I both just recently bought 99 DR 350 dirt models for around $2000. Already have a plate on mine, it has a mirror, Garmin 76S GPS, and speedometer, thats it. Next it will have a brakelight and horn, maybe DOT 90% dirt tires to replace the full knobbies. It only runs 55 or 60 max on the highway, most of its use is dirt roads and trails in the Ozark mountains in Arkansas.

Robert Walden Huntsville Arkansas

Pm sent--I'm not far from there and am looking for a bike specifically for the ozarks.

My DR350 will get 53mpg on dirt roads and trails. That is good for about 100 miles plus 25 reserve. A good comfortable, good handing, dependable bike with a good wide seat and 36 inch seat height. Most of the rural highways the 55 or less cruise speed is ok and won`t get ran over by a shi_ truck. The street legal DRZ would be a fine choice but I prefer a dirt only bike barely street legal, especially since the 90% street tires and heavy weight of a DR650 put me in the hospital for 17 days last year. Now i ride like an old woman but dressed like a hockey goalie!

Robert Walden rlwalden@webtv.net

I'm in the process of selling my 2000 dr650 right now. I had a '97dr350se until a few months ago but needed to upgrade from that CV carb and it's not cheap--so I sold the bike so I could start over with the dirt model. I also like the barely legal dirt bike for dualsporting up there and considered the drze and kicker but the dr350 is about 1/3 the cost and I can fix it just the way I want it with the extra $$--I'm also familiar with them already. I can't wait to go back to Arkansas--I had a blast last time!

Well the state of Arkansas rejected my title application. The local office already sold me the plates, but suppose they will reclame them soon. I will try the bonded or court order title. For any of you guys planning to plate a dirt bike, a brand new bike with MSO in YOUR name will be the easiest route unless you can find a bike where the FIRST owner titled the bike, and all other owners had it titled. My cheap horn did not work from the headlight wires either. Evidently the headlight runs from 5 volts! Does anyone sell a horn that will work with a bike that has no battery?

Robert Walden

did u ever find a horn that will run from the 5 volts of headlight power?

I used the baja kit since it came with a rectifier and everything necessary. In Texas, it was a piece of cake...10 minutes in and out and I had a plate in my hand. (this was a '98 dirt model)

I recently sold a 90 DR350 dirt model that was CA plated. It had a very basic street kit with a rear brake light switch, a hi/lo headlight, front turn signals, horn and one mirror. No battery. The stock stator didn't like to run much more than the headlight and tail light. I am also in the process of moving all my parts from my 94 DR435 over to a plated 91 DR350 dirt frame. I like it off road better than my DRZ400S, the DR is a lighter machine with a better carb.