Sign in to follow this  

dualsporting a dirt bike? (dr350)

I posted this in the DR section but there's not much traffic there and it applies to any dirtmodel (without a battery) but specifically the dr350. I sold my '97se a few months ago in hopes of upgrading to a drz400e. This would be a second bike and I would still ride the kdx for dirt-only rides. I'm mainly interested in a few dualsport rides/year and lots of weekends in Arkansas national forests...and possibly a long ride this summer. I'm thinking about the dr350 dirt model because I can find one at about 1/3 the cost of a drz400 and I like the pumper carb and minimal street gear. Have any of you dualsported a dirt model? I'm talking brake light/horn/high-low headlight and a mirror (the minimum). What battery setup would I need to run? Anyone done this? I'm in Texas and it's pretty easy to pass inspection

What exactly needs to run off of the battery? Can't I use dual filament bulbs, brake switch, 9v horn? Where does the BD battery go? rechargable? range?

What exactly needs to run off of the battery? Can't I use dual filament bulbs, brake switch, 9v horn? Where does the BD battery go? rechargable? range?

I'm currently dual-sporting a CRF230 in Texas. I'm using a Baja Designs enduro kit instead of the full dual sport kit. The main difference being turn signals. The enduro kit is headlight, tail and brake light, brake switch, and hi/low/kill switch. The crf230 has a e-start so it already has a battery. I just had to add a horn and a mirror.

Many states require that the lights work when the engine is off, so Baja Designs adds a battery to the dual sport kits to meet that requirement. Texas doesn't have that requirement, but the kit comes that way so might as well go with it.

Have you looked in the classified section of Texas Offroad Network ? There is a used drz400e for $2400 listed. Add one of the BD enduro kits and you have a very capable dual sport setup with e-start. How does that compare to the DR350's you've found?

I do frequent the TON and that drz looks like a racer set up for "220# A rider". I would think it's been well maintained but who knows? I know it's been ridden hard. It's also a kicker. I'm really not sure what I'll end up with.

I do frequent the TON and that drz looks like a racer set up for "220# A rider". I would think it's been well maintained but who knows? I know it's been ridden hard. It's also a kicker. I'm really not sure what I'll end up with.

I didn't catch the fact it was a kicker. Oh well, I was trying to help. Have you found a dr350 yet?

I found a '96 dr350 and it looks like that'll be the one. I'm thinking with the $2000 I save, I'll dress it up just the way I like it. This will be a back-up bike for me and my main D/S ride. When I started adding up the cost of the drz, I just couldn't do it.