Sign in to follow this  

help with 05 crf setup

i just got an 05 crf and im getting my suspension done wat should i do im 245lbs do mx and is fairly fast i was thinking

-springs fork and shock(what rate?)

-revalve fork and shock

-oil lock collars

-subtanks

i hope to acheive good performance in bumps and good bottom resistance is this a good setup??any reccomendations

The latest CRF fork springs are listed in the manual as .46kg/mm but are testing at .49. This is true for all the ones I've seen so far. Have your tuner leave the fork springs and replace the shock spring only. The CRFs are better on the midvalve this year but far from perfect. Make sure this is adjusted as well as the rebound problems. Once the compression circuit is balanced to your requirements you will have good performance. I would recommend avoiding the aftermarket lock ring. These items are a waste of time and will be matched in any benefit with heavier oil in the outer chamber. Once you have everything adjusted correctly you probably will have no need for the subtanks. This is a very capable fork on what is a very capable machine. All you need is a capable tuner.

The Duck

This is the first time that I've heard that the fork springs have tested heavier than .46. Is this common knowledge, or a new discovery? Is this published or noted anywhere else, or is it your own observation?

Thanks for making this known.

hmmm I'd be surprised if they are checking out at .49.

I have ridden his bike a few times and the forks are pretty dang far down in their stroke with me on it(210lbs) I have .49's in my 02 and they hold the front end up MUCH higher.

I am about to help my brother with his 05 setup. He weighs 220 and likes my suspension. I hope we don't get .49 springs for him to find out that it doesn't help!

All of the '05 crf 450 springs I have tested have been in the 47 range. However, I just tested a set I took out of a bike last week and one tested 47 and the other at 49. These were the '05 springs with the two ( 2 ) cut (grind) markings side by side. If you are getting your suspension done --- make sure to test.