Sign in to follow this  

Subjective helmit question?

I need some guidance on shoosing ahelmit to ride to/from work, to the trails, and too the track for racing. Can't afford one of each. Who makes the best riding helmits, and are they DOT apprved?

Arai XD...bad A$$!! Expensive as all hell though. I got one retails for $580 or so and I got mine for about $470. It's got the looks of a motocross but it's got a face mask...and it's an Arai...not much more to say about that.

Arai americas.com...look at the XD series..might be what you are looking for..dang some one beat me to it.

I've got a M2R motocross type helmet that is both D.O.T. and Snell rated. One of these ratings is good, both are better. And, it wasn't expensive...about $90 including shipping. And it is comfortable with removeable liner / cheek-pads for washing, etc. The most important thing here is to get a decent helmet and use it! Try Rocky Mountain MC/ATV or RideGear on-line...Good luck... :cry:

I've got a M2R motocross type helmet that is both D.O.T. and Snell rated. One of these ratings is good, both are better.

If you read the interview with Hurt in the current MCN, I think you'll see that the Snell rating isn't doing you any good and can be harmful.

I use an Arai VX-Pro. It's the only one that fits my goofy head. :cry:

Go to a store that has many and don't be shy about trying them on. When you find one that seems to fit, wear it for at least 20 minutes. If it still feels good, that is a good one to consider.

If your going to ride at the track on Tuesday night and commute to work with the same helmut on Wednesday morning, you better have at least a removable liner- if not a spare liner. I like to dry my helmut off on the air conditioner condenser when the central AC is running at my place. :cry: ... it works!